FORUMS: list search recent posts

Managing many copies of an object

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stephen Jensen
Managing many copies of an object
on Aug 5, 2011 at 3:22:13 pm

Hi Everyone,
I've been doing work with Maya where I start with a small model of a surface and copy and past the group of atoms to propogate the surface to make it larger. The problem is that when I go to my hypershader, there are like literally 20-30 copies of each color. I know that I can right click and say "highlight selected" and then assign to one instance of the color, but when I try to select several "reds" and apply it to the main "red" it doesn't do them all.

There must be an easier way to collapse objects with several materials into 1 material.

Also, is there a way to make Maya name copies something logical instead of just "pasted"? If I copy and paste the same thing a bunch I end up getting pasted_pasted_pasted_pasted_object and its just out of control.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Return to posts index

Ben van Hamelen
Re: Managing many copies of an object
on Aug 6, 2011 at 6:31:59 pm

I had to read your post a few times to really grasp what you meant, but I think this is your answer:

Regarding the pasted_pasted_pasted things: don't use cut and paste unless you really have to. Use duplicate (ctrl+D). It'll copy the name of the object and just adds a number to it (clean-ish Outliner). On top of that, it will use the same material, without duplicating that as well. Result: clean hypershader, both problems fixed.

Or did I misunderstand your question?

Regards,

Ben van H.

http://www.fireinthesole.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]