FORUMS: list search recent posts

Binding eyelashes to animated eyes?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Max Nuage
Binding eyelashes to animated eyes?
on Aug 3, 2011 at 1:49:06 am

Hi there!

After figuring out that my female cartoon character would look a lot more female if it had eyelashes, I started to add some to her eyes. Unfortunately I've no idea how to bind them to the eyelids. The eyelids are controlled through blendshapes, so parenting them to the head controller will not quite do it. The eyelashes are polygonal objects so it should definitely be possible, shouldn't it? If I'd just know how. :(

Thanks in advance,

Max

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Binding eyelashes to animated eyes?
on Aug 3, 2011 at 2:20:40 pm

Depending on the shape of your character, you may want to revisit the eyelid rigging, basing the motion on the rotation of clusters or joints instead of blendshapes. Blendshapes aren't great for the kind of rotating motion that eyelids exhibit; points will always move in straight lines from one target to the next.

With clusters or joints, you will of course be able to simply add the eyelashes to the deformer set and they should move in perfect sync with the eyelid.

If you're set on using blendshapes, well, why not just sculpt the eyelashes into a shape (or shapes) matching the blended eyelid, then link the two different blendshapes together?

-Steve

Return to posts index

Max Nuage
on Aug 3, 2011 at 5:25:04 pm

Thanks for the help Steve!

The eyelash blendshapes did the trick! Do you think you can tell me how to link two blendshapes together? Sorry, newbie at work here. :)

- Max

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Aug 3, 2011 at 10:52:32 pm

No problem. You can use the Connection Editor to connect any compatible attributes on two nodes. So you'd load your eyelid blendshape on the left, and the eyelash blendshape on the right, and then select the appropriate attribute on the left and then on the right. So you might connect the "upperEyelidTarget" attribute to the "upperEyelashTarget" attribute. Then whenever the first is changed or animated, the second will follow automatically.

You should also research the 'set driven key' workflow for things like this... expressions can also create complex connections between attributes.

Hope that helps.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Max Nuage
on Aug 3, 2011 at 11:04:10 pm

Ah, very interesting! That worked out perfectly, thanks so much for the help Steve!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]