FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem selecting a face and edge wedge face

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ray Foster
Problem selecting a face and edge wedge face
on Jul 21, 2011 at 4:41:06 am

In Maya 2011 using Edit Mesh>Wedge Face A face and an edge need to be selected. I'm having trouble here, I select a face but when I switch to Edge mode I lose the Selected face. How do I get both a face and an edge selected at the same time?

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Problem selecting a face and edge wedge face
on Jul 21, 2011 at 3:02:18 pm

This does take some getting used to.

I assume you're switching to Edge mode by using a hotkey, like F10, or by clicking on the Edges component button in your Status Bar? You're correct that doing so will deselect the face that you've already selected.

Using these methods makes a sort of global change to Maya's state, telling it that you only want to be selecting items of the specified type. For a mixed selection, do the following: select the first component (a face), then right-click on the object and choose 'edges' from the pop-up selection menu. This will allow you to add edges to your selection without deselecting the face you already have selected (or vice versa).

This technique also works when you need to select an object in object mode as well as a component, which is necessary for some other tasks.

Hope that helps,

-Steve

Return to posts index

Ray Foster
on Jul 22, 2011 at 1:03:38 am

Thanks Steve,
Seems like well kept secret, I did a lot of searching in Help and a couple of books and this little snippet escaped me.

Now I'm cooking again.

Ray

Return to posts index

Joseph Fuchs
on Feb 25, 2014 at 8:54:35 am

For maya 2014, select edge then right click and select "multi". Now hold down the shift key and select the face.

Return to posts index

Shawn Johnson
on Oct 3, 2015 at 9:31:53 pm

Joseph THANK YOU SO MUCH I am operating with a 2 year old book and a million 5 year old posts online, appreciate the tip!

Return to posts index

Job Bergsma
on Jan 9, 2016 at 12:19:46 pm

For the ones that are reading this just now, the part where Steve says 'choose edges' would be 'choose multi' as of later versions. Same is mentioned in the comments below. Cheers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]