FORUMS: list search recent posts

particle instancer - shader attribute

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joshua Mosley
particle instancer - shader attribute
on Jun 26, 2011 at 1:35:15 am

I'm using the particle instancer and would like to use an expression to control the frame extension of a filetexture that is connected to the shader for the instanced object.

Is it possible to set the file texture frame extension on a PerParticle basis - it wouldnt' seem so since the shader doesn't know that i'm dealing with particles..

I have 1000s of file textures to reference in different ways and i've considered and tested sprites; but this will be much better to figure out with instancing for my scene;

anyone have some clues on how to do this?

thanks,

Joshua

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: particle instancer - shader attribute
on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:08:46 pm

Hmmm, I thought I had already posted a reply to this... it must not have gone through, sorry.

Unfortunately I think you're right; there's no way to make the instanced geometry aware of per-particle attributes.

What you'd have to do, if you really can't get away with sprites, is create as many separate pieces of geo as you have images, which of course is a bit of a problem if you have thousands of them.

Maybe a workaround is possible if you can have the shader rely on some attribute like rotation or scale that is being set by the instancer... but I don't know if those values from the instancer replace the original object's values at render time or if they are just added to them the way a parent's are.

I think Houdini can do this, but Maya seems to be limited. :(

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Maybe someone else can suggest something...

-Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]