FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem with FBX and "non-orthogonal matrix support"

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Daley
Problem with FBX and "non-orthogonal matrix support"
on Jun 21, 2011 at 9:16:30 pm

Hi everyone,

I have a big problem that I hope someone can figure out.

I have this rig of a crow that a project partner and I have been using for a whole bunch of animations. I converted one to an FBX to bring into Unity this afternoon for testing, but the mesh was essentially a blob. I realized that an error message I received after export, "Warning: Non-orthogonal matrix support," was likely the culprit.

In the Outliner, one of the joints, "joint1," appears to be the child of a transform. This transform, "transform2," is non-orthogonal. Now, I can't delete the transform, because the joint will disappear and warp the mesh around where it was. I want to try freezing or resetting the joint's transformations, but I can't do that without detaching the skin. If I detach the skin, my partner and I would have to repaint the skin weights...and that would mean a lot of animations to repaint!

Worse comes to worst, we could reanimate, but we only have until the end of the week or so to get our animations working in Unity, and so we want to avoid having to do this. Does anyone know how I could fix this?

Thank you very much,
Chris

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Problem with FBX and "non-orthogonal matrix support"
on Jun 23, 2011 at 6:17:40 pm

I'm afraid I don't know anything about Unity or the error message that you're receiving, but I do know that you should be able to save skin weight maps to disk and then load them back in later (after you've detached, fixed whatever problem exists, and then re-bound).

Hope that helps.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Chris Daley
on Jun 24, 2011 at 12:56:28 am

Hi Steve,

I've since received the solution to this problem, but thank you for that information! That was another thing I learned along the way, too (which will make life a heck of a lot easier), but I appreciate your feedback nonetheless.

Thank you,
Chris

Return to posts index

Bailey Kalesti
on Jan 27, 2012 at 8:59:17 pm

So, what was your solution? It would be good to provide so that others (like myself) could fix this same problem. Thanks in advance. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]