FORUMS: list search recent posts

Glass becomes solid when I combine polygons?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joseph Curella
Glass becomes solid when I combine polygons?
on Jun 11, 2011 at 1:04:15 am

Newbie here... I made a glass dome using a hyper shade object with high transparency settings. I want to combine all the polygons in this scene to make one object that will rotate on a pivot point. I'm having a problem when I combine the polygons the hyper shade for the glass becomes solid white. Any Ideas why this is happening? Also the glass dome I made is decent for a first attempt, but it's a little hazy. Any Ideas how I can clean it up? Thanks for any and all help,
Joe

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Glass becomes solid when I combine polygons?
on Jun 13, 2011 at 6:44:26 pm

You don't need to combine poly meshes in order to have them rotate on the same axis. You can use grouping or parenting to accomplish the same thing.

It is possible to have multiple materials, including some transparent and some not, applied to a single poly mesh. But if you're just starting out, it's probably simpler to stick with a single material per mesh for the time being.

It's tough to offer specific suggestions without seeing a screenshot. As a wild guess I'd say you could try tweaking the specular settings on your glass material. If you're using a Phong, you'd want to increase the Cosine Power for a sharper highlight. If it's a Blinn, you'd want to decrease the Eccentricity, etc.

Hope that helps,

-Steve

Return to posts index

Joseph Curella
Re: Glass becomes solid when I combine polygons?
on Jun 14, 2011 at 1:22:16 am

Thanks for the advice Steve. I will google grouping and parenting and give it a try. Here is some screen shot's just incase I still need help.
http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt318/jcurella/clear-1.jpg

http://i623.photobucket.com/albums/tt318/jcurella/solid.jpg

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]