FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rigid body problem !

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Annada Prasad Behera
Rigid body problem !
on Jun 1, 2011 at 12:38:40 pm

I have a NURBS surface and I have made it a passive a rigid body. Then I had a sphere with a gravity field to it. But as soon as I play the animation, the sphere simply simply sticks to the NURBS surface and I have a error like this "rigid body interpenetration occured between 'ball' and 'path'." Ball is my sphere and 'path' is my NURBS surface. Maya help hinted me to correct my normals. How do I do that ? Please help me.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Rigid body problem !
on Jun 1, 2011 at 4:21:57 pm

Are the objects separated at the start of the animation? You should make sure there's a gap between them before you start the simulation.

Also, it's possible that the normals for your NURBS surface are in fact facing the wrong way. Try reversing the surface to flip the normals, and see if you still get the error.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Annada Prasad Behera
Re: igid body problem !
on Jun 1, 2011 at 4:57:08 pm

Yes. Both of them are separate at frame 1. But I don't know how to reverse the normal for the NURBS surface. Can you tell me how to do that ?

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Jun 1, 2011 at 5:34:53 pm

There is a 'Reverse Surface' command in the Edit NURBS menu. You can reverse along U or V (don't do both as this will reverse it twice, leaving the normals pointing in the same direction they were originally).

To check the normal direction, use the Display > NURBS display > Surface Normals command. The lines sticking out from your surface should point up (assuming the ball is falling from above).

A quick test could also be done just by rotating your surface 180 degrees so it's upside down, and see if that makes a difference.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Annada Prasad Behera
on Jun 1, 2011 at 8:06:15 pm

Thank You, Mr Steve. You are a wonderful guy.

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Jun 3, 2011 at 2:41:00 pm

Thank you! I'm happy to help!

-Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]