FORUMS: list search recent posts

Delay the animation of a Reference object?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Black
Delay the animation of a Reference object?
on May 25, 2011 at 9:19:57 am

Hello,

I have a scene which has many referenced objects in it. I was wondering whether it would be possible to create an animation in the referenced scene and then delay or offset that animation in my main scene?

Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thanks for your help,
Ben

http://www.benblack.tv

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: Delay the animation of a Reference object?
on Jun 1, 2011 at 5:25:50 pm

It is possible, but not terribly straightforward. You may be better off simply offsetting the animation in the original scene before referencing.

When you reference in a file, you are allowed to make and break connections between attributes, and make changes to individual attributes. I believe, if I'm not mistaken, that you can NOT make changes to animation curves.

The first workaround I would try is to see if you can break the connection from the time1 node of the scene to the referenced animation curves. If you can insert a PlusMinusAverage node between time1 and the animation curves, you should be able to add or subtract values to offset all animation at the same time.

Depending on how many animation nodes you have, and how comfortable you are working with nodes and/or scripting with MEL, this may or may not be plausible.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Joel Stutz
Re: Delay the animation of a Reference object?
on May 24, 2016 at 11:23:05 pm

Hello, actually it's possible to edit animation curves on referenced files (see this maya user's guide):

http://download.autodesk.com/global/docs/maya2014/en_us/index.html?url=file...

It works on my animation, I referenced a dozen of animations which I wanted to slightly offset in order not to make them look like identical copies. Best regards, Joel Stutz from visualcenter.ch

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]