FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problem Importing Sequence to after effects

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rob Tyler
Problem Importing Sequence to after effects
on May 19, 2011 at 4:31:55 pm

Hi all, I have seen similar posts on the site but none have provided me with an answer, so hopefuly someone can help me out here :)

I have made a short animated scene in Maya with some very simple camera movement, I understand that my next step is to render this out as a JPEG or Targa file (for example) and then import the sequence in to after effects. I have tried this with a number of different settings, all from tutorials on the web. Every time, i get this message...

After Effects error: the file format module could not parse the file.

Does anyone know of a detailed guide as to how all of my prefferences should be set up within Maya and After Effects? as im guessing the problem resides within them..?

thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Rob Tyler
Re: Problem Importing Sequence to after effects
on May 19, 2011 at 8:27:27 pm

Literally begging for some help here, I need to hand this file in tomorrow :'(

Return to posts index

sushil sharma
on May 20, 2011 at 4:37:41 am

its very simple to render tgas and load them in afx. it's everyday procedure. don't know whethrr problem is in maya of afx. try to open the rendered tga in other applications such as photoshop or fcheck, if it is alright there, then may be the tga reader plugin in afx have some problem. try to render in some other format such as tiff or iff.

Return to posts index

Rob Tyler
on May 20, 2011 at 6:31:35 am

Thanks, I have tried importing it in to Photoshop as a Jpeg Sequence, I get the error: Could not complete the open command because an unknown or invalid JPEG marker type is found.

I have tried importing in to after effects as other files types, none work :(

any thoughts?

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
on May 23, 2011 at 8:13:25 am

This should help. You have to make sure the image sequence has the right number and extension prefix in order for an image sequence to work in AE. For example, you need to make sure that there is no underscores in your naming schem. For example Compname.###.JPG works well for import into After effects because it doesn't have an underscore in the name. When you output your image sequence from Maya you should choose the "name.number.ext" option, just don't choose the option with an underscore and leave the frame padding at 1. Good luck!

Stu

Return to posts index

Darby Edelen
on May 27, 2011 at 12:22:35 am

If I had to guess, you're exporting to a file format that is not JPEG, and you're giving it the JPG extension. This can cause programs to get confused.

Double check your render settings. If this is the problem then instead of re-rendering to JPEG, I would recommend batch changing the file format extensions to the proper extension.

Darby Edelen

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]