FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maya 2011 hot key "3" smooth deforms polygon image

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Castro
Maya 2011 hot key "3" smooth deforms polygon image
on Apr 22, 2011 at 5:37:12 pm

I created a facial image using the polygon tool, extruded and adjusted verts and when I was done I hit the hotkey "3" to smooth
the image and it distorted it to a point of not being of any use.
It never did this in Maya 6, I checked for a service pack to see if
was included, but it wasn't. Is there an adjustment I'm missing?
Thank you very much for any help in this matter.

Return to posts index

Tibor Bernscherer
Re: Maya 2011 hot key "3" smooth deforms polygon image
on Apr 23, 2011 at 8:46:08 am

Hey. The "smooth look" works just fine but in order to get a good result, the model needs to have an appropriate topology, otherwise it can cause freaky stuff. For instance if you have a cube and you want to keep the cube shape, you create more edges near the original ones on all sides, so the shape will be smooth but still a cube. If you just create a cube and press the "3", it will look near a sphere rather than cube. The number and places of edges are really depend on your actual model, if you need more help, just link an image, I'm sure you'll get help pretty soon.

Good luck

Return to posts index

Annada Prasad Behera
Re: Maya 2011 hot key
on Apr 29, 2011 at 5:08:41 pm

Tibor Bernscherer said that a cube would look like a near-sphere if you smoothen it. Unless it is a subdiv surface it would never happen so. I think you need to redefine your edges to stop it from taking unusual shape.

Return to posts index

Tibor Bernscherer
Re: Maya 2011 hot key
on Apr 29, 2011 at 7:23:35 pm

I didn't mean it would look like a sphere, not exactly, but the subd mode does round the corners pretty much unless you add some resolution near the edge:)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]