FORUMS: list search recent posts

Extrude along path distortion

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stanley Gucwa-Bucasas
Extrude along path distortion
on Apr 20, 2011 at 9:06:11 pm

Hi, I've read and watched tons of the extrude along path tutorials in hopes of creating a ribbon animating along a path. I have gotten decent results but have noticed as my curve (which is only a straight line between to points) travels along the path, it's really not "wiping on" but instead the geometry is being stretched to fit the guide curve...obv this produces a ribbon that is always distorting a little until it is completely drawn on, and i would instead like the ribbon to be "revealed."

Is this a limitation to using this technique? Or is there some setting I didn't attend to first.

Also, how would I add depth to the ribbon?

Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Tibor Bernscherer
Re: Extrude along path distortion
on Apr 21, 2011 at 8:44:56 am

Hey, It might be only me but I don't really understand the issue, could you link a picture?
As far as I know you can only extrude along a curve anyway, what I suggest is to crack up the polygon numbers (or spins if you're using nurbs) to follow the curve flawlessly.
Dept to the ribbon? Do you mean wideness? Just copy the curve and loft the two curve together.

Hope it helps

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Apr 21, 2011 at 3:31:16 pm

Not sure exactly what method you're using or whether your output is NURBS or poly.

In either case, thickness is easily obtained by extruding a closed curve (square or circle) instead of a straight line.

If you choose 'Curve Range > Partial' from the extrude options, you can then animate the Max Value of Subcurve2 to animate the ribbon 'growing.' However its UV coordinates will jump around using this method. Do you need a texture to appear on the ribbon? If so, you'll need a workaround to this part.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Joel Goodman
on Jan 10, 2012 at 2:05:38 pm

Hi Steve,
Just wondering if you have the aforementioned workaround for the uv issue.
Its not that the uv's jump around, but they are always 0->1 regardless of the proportion of the curve used. Therefore when they start growing, the texture is compressed, and gradually stretches out to the correct size as the surface is created.
Is there some way to make the partial curve use a partial uv mapping?

cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]