FORUMS: list search recent posts

swirling storm

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joshua Kerr
swirling storm
on Apr 16, 2011 at 11:11:30 am

Just getting started with this part of maya but i'm having fun with fluids. I've managed to create a hurricane using a 3d container with four emitters at the bottom of the container and a slightly offset vortex field to get that swirling effect. It looks good on its own but I'm really trying to create one to use over a model of planet earth.

heres an example of what i'm using as reference: http://www.cbsnews.com/i/tim//2010/08/26/kat7_1.jpg

The problem is the 3d container is way too tall making the storm look like its stretching into space, but a 2d container obviously it too flat to film from certain angles. Any suggestions on how I can create this effect without having the fluid hit the edges of the container? Is there a better way to create this storm for what i'm after?

Cheers guys

Click to visit myProduction Company

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
Re: swirling storm
on Apr 20, 2011 at 7:08:18 pm

A 3d container doesn't need to be tall if you don't want it to; you can set the X, Y and Z resolution and scale separately.

Use an opacity gradient to fade out the fluid near the top of the container to avoid that 'hitting the side' effect.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Joshua Kerr
Re: swirling storm
on Sep 14, 2011 at 11:34:23 am

Cheers Steve,

I tried out your suggestions and they work fine but It seems my current problem is that I want the storm to in some way wrap round the earth. It has to cover half the world's surface (thinking apocalyptic proportions) but fluids don't curve round objects so I have no idea how to proceed with this idea.

Click to visit myProduction Company
Or here to see our creative work Video Production Newcastle

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]