FORUMS: list search recent posts

texture resolution

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joshua Kerr
texture resolution
on Apr 6, 2011 at 1:19:57 pm

Hi Guys,

Really enjoying Maya 2010. I've been using it for about two months and have manages to create some interesting models but i'm curious about getting more detailed textures. Does anyone know the highest file size Maya supports as so far it just crashes when I try to import a high res image. (maybe its too big?)

Cheers, and if anyone has any tips on getting more photorealistic models just jump in.

Click to visit myProduction Company

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
Re: texture resolution
on Apr 6, 2011 at 7:10:50 pm

Yeah, generally you should be working with 1024x1024, or 2048x2048 texture (image) sizes. 2048x2048 gives really good results. Hope that helps. Stu

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Apr 7, 2011 at 8:47:50 pm

Are you talking about seeing higher-res representations of your textures in your viewports, or are you talking about finished renders?

For finished renders, you can use some pretty massive textures... 4096 and even 8192 square isn't unheard of for high-end work. For the viewport, there are a couple of different settings you can change, so you'll need to be more specific about what you're trying to achieve.

In any case, a reasonably-sized texture shouldn't cause a crash. Try the image in a different format in case that's part of the problem.

-Steve

Return to posts index

Joshua Kerr
on Apr 8, 2011 at 1:01:29 pm

Cheers guys.

Yeah steve I realised that was part of the problem. I had both the show texture and high quality turned on in the viewport and as the texture is very large (were talking 15000 x 5000 Maya was automatically trying to display it in the viewport.

I'm much less bothered about seeing them in the viewport anyway, i just render sections using the IPR render settings. Thanks again for your help.

Click to visit myProduction Company

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]