FORUMS: list search recent posts

rendering pass problems

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
ken marvel
rendering pass problems
on Apr 3, 2011 at 10:40:20 pm

hi im new to maya and trying my best to get past obstacles when i can but this one is a road block , if any one could help it would be nice. i have to render passes, one is for pfx (paint trees ) the other ,polygon rigged figure, i have the figure masked in the layer with a surface shader but it overlaps in the final render and sticks out a bit.

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
Re: rendering pass problems
on Apr 6, 2011 at 7:16:56 pm

Just wondering why you are using a mask/shader, it's probably not a good way to texture the surface. Need more information!

Return to posts index

ken marvel
on Apr 6, 2011 at 8:59:28 pm

Hi Stuart,thanks for responding. ive watched your tutorials on youtube ,they're great.your vids were the first place i looked. still, i'm going nutso right now rendering multiple passes which i can't find a solution for.paint effects trees with maya software and a polygon character with mental ray aren't playing nice together.i followed the 2009 maya foundation guide but being a novice i don't quite know the best way to render the scene in passes, the book explained to place a shader over the character as a silhouette, which almost worked but alas artifacts. if you can help im greatful and all ears

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Apr 6, 2011 at 11:12:30 pm

Hello, Ken.

It looks to me like you're having a problem with the difference between Maya's and mental ray's interpretations of smoothed polygons.

When you select a poly mesh in the viewport and hit the '3' key on your keyboard, you get a smoothed version of it. Mental ray actually respects this smoothed preview, and renders it--but Maya software doesn't. So there is a mismatch between the two layers.

Try actually applying a Smooth node to the character instead of pressing the '3' key. In fact, after you add the smooth node, you should press '1' to go to the unsmoothed version--otherwise mental ray will render out a smoothed-then-smoothed-again version.

Hope that helps.

-Steve

Return to posts index

ken marvel
on Apr 7, 2011 at 1:32:09 am

Thanks Steve , when i have a chance to explore that i will my dead line is too tight , but maybe you could help with another instead. when i animate its very slow and my creatures eyes fly out in the playblast even though they are bound- ken

Return to posts index

ken marvel
on Apr 7, 2011 at 2:18:30 am

Thanks Steve , when i have a chance to explore that i will my dead line is too tight , but maybe you could help with another instead. when i animate its very slow and my creatures eyes fly out in the playblast even though they are bound linked to the skeleton

Return to posts index

Steve Sayer
on Apr 7, 2011 at 4:33:37 pm

The smooth poly is a very quick fix; no matter how tight your deadline you should give it a try, because if I'm correct (of course I might not be) it will instantly solve your masking issue.

As for the eyeballs, I'm not sure why they're flying out like that... you say 'in a playblast'; does that mean that they DON'T fly out when you're just working in the viewports or when you render?

The only thing it looks like to me is a double transformation, which happens when something is both bound and parented to a skeleton. But in that case I'd expect the problem to show up in all cases: viewport, playblast, and render.

Anything else you can tell us about the problem?

-Steve

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]