FORUMS: list search recent posts

Memory Issue? or Maya?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Moss
Memory Issue? or Maya?
on Apr 1, 2011 at 10:14:09 pm

Here's something i havent seen yet...

I have a poly mesh of 16,321 polys before smoothing.

When i polysmooth this, two things happen, one it takes an incredibly long time to smooth, and the second the object disapears,
It acts as if it is still in the scene (Maya runs slower, still listed in Outliner, etc..)

Could this be a problem inside of Maya? Or is my machine too slow?
I thought i had built a strong enough machine
I know alot of people have 24+GB's Memory, but even with 12 this cant be done?!?

...specs...

Win7 64bit
Core i7 950 (4Cores + Hyperthreading)
12GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600 Memory
850W P/S
GeForce GTS 450 GPU

I have a little system Widget running on my Desktop. After smoothing it shows about 90% of my Memory being used.

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
Re: Memory Issue? or Maya?
on Apr 2, 2011 at 8:27:17 am

what kind of operatioms have been performened on this mesh? How much are you smoothing? What are the settings? Did you delete construction history? It shouldn't take too long with a machine like that but are you running 64 bit with full access to memory? I'm not familiar with windows but have seen many posts mentioning memory in windows needs to be set or something?
-Beef

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index

Mike Moss
Re: Memory Issue? or Maya?
on Apr 2, 2011 at 8:35:21 am

Most operations have been extrudes. ALOT of extrudes. And its being smoothed with the default settings, After smooth comes out to be around 6million poly's.

Yes, History has been deleted. The only way i can get this to work is by importing the mesh into a new scene and smoothing in the new scene...But that leads to another problem....

...and before i get yelled at about this, i know the problems that come with using Booleans. I avoided using them as much as possible, Unfortunatly there where two spots on my mesh that i couldnt seem to avoid. Now after i import the mesh into a new scene, the booleaned area acts funny.

So im stuck between a rock and hard place...
No smoothing in current scene with boolean working properly, OR new scene WITH smoothing and faulty mesh because of boolean. Hmmm...

AS for you question about 64bit with full access to memory...Not sure, dont know how to check. In my Windows system it shows that i have 12.28GB installed. Also my Windows memory gadget reports the same.

Wether or not Maya is getting access to the full amount is beyond me.

THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE! :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]