FORUMS: list search recent posts

Interactive Placement of textures - does it ever work?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Roper
Interactive Placement of textures - does it ever work?
on Mar 30, 2011 at 5:32:51 pm

Just wondering if anyone out there ever uses 'Interactive Placement' of textures - dunno if it's me or my machine, but it never works for me, so I never use it. Sounds like it SHOULD be a great, essential feature, and would make my life so much easier if it actually worked. I either get some pathetic excuse about it 'only working on NURBS models' (why??) or if I try to manipulate a texture on a NURBS, it just gives me a red rectangle around the texture, which cannot be selected or manipulated in any way. So I just do it the slow way - banging in numbers and guesswork.

Or am I missing something obvious?

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
Re: Interactive Placement of textures - does it ever work?
on Mar 31, 2011 at 3:44:18 pm

Yes it does. Check it:
To use the 3D placement manipulator
Assign a 3D texture to a surface.
The texture’s place3dTexture node (swatch) appears in Hypershade and a manipulator appears in the view panel.
Double-click the node to open the Attribute Editor.
Select the Interactive placement (see Interactive Placement) to reposition the 3d texture to show the placement manipulator. (This tool similar to a combined version of the move, scale, and rotate tool.)

Now for 2d textures it shows you the u and v directions and if you have hardware shading turned on so you can see your textures in the viewport you can move it and it shows you what is moving where. It isn't actually a handle you push or pull, it just shows you where you are moving . With projection textures it gives the bounding box of the type of projection which you can use to place interactively. Re-check the help docs and you'll find more info.
-Beef

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]