FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can I Start With A Figure?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
arthur brogard
Can I Start With A Figure?
on Mar 22, 2011 at 10:58:46 am

I've just got Maya and what I want to do is start changing the appearance of and then animating a figure.

I want a sort of 'blank' figure already created that I can work on.

Then simple instructions on how to get it to move around a bit.

So's I can impress my children (5yrs and 7yrs) and get them started, too. At least get them interested.

Does it work like this? Can I do that? Or are there no short cuts?

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
Re: Can I Start With A Figure?
on Mar 23, 2011 at 9:49:04 pm

You are correct Arthur, there are no shortcuts with Maya. It's great you want to get the kids involved, but Maya is not so easy "even a seven year old could do it!" However, how about starting small, and learn the basics and teach those to the kiddies! Check out my tutorials on You_Tube

http://www.youtube.com/user/deepfriedectoplasm?feature=mhum

Pick something that looks interesting and I guarantee you that you will be able to achieve something no matter what level you are starting at.

Best of luck! Stu

Return to posts index

arthur brogard
on Mar 23, 2011 at 11:42:46 pm

Yep. I've made a start, Stuart. Made a sphere, animated it. I'd overlooked, I guess, that one can start that simply, the principles are the same.

I was thinking, I suppose, that the world of Maya programming might be a bit like Google Sketchup, where people make things and then make them publicly available, so's we don't all go around reinventing the wheel.

So I guess I was thinking maybe there was a similar library of constructs we could download and work on, modifying them to suit our purposes the same way I download constructs for Sketchup, modify them, incorporate them into my designs and then make my designs available.

I'm happy to continue this way, no drama.

Next thing that popped into my mind was how about importing images and sticking them onto my constructs? Like can I import a .jpg of my child's face and stick it onto the surface of the sphere?

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
on Mar 25, 2011 at 6:36:17 pm

Absolutely, anything is possible with some basic Maya Concepts. As well, sometimes you can find free models and objects in the .OBJ (and other) format that you can import into a Maya Project and there's some useful pre-rigged characters that you can learn how to animate with (check out Lesterbanks.com) he has a whole list and links to them. Start with the basics and you will soon get the hang of it.

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
on Mar 25, 2011 at 6:39:59 pm

Absolutely, anything is possible with some basic Maya Concepts. As well, sometimes you can find free models and objects in the .OBJ (and other) format that you can import into a Maya Project and there's some useful pre-rigged characters that you can learn how to animate with (check out Lesterbanks.com) he has a whole list and links to them.

I know alot....but not as much as the other guy.

Return to posts index

arthur brogard
on Mar 26, 2011 at 10:05:38 pm

Thanks for the, Stuart. I think you've set my feet on the road. It is going to be a pretty steep learning curve, I think, but well worth it I guess...

:)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]