FORUMS: list search recent posts

How To Do This Effect?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sam Gharai
How To Do This Effect?
on Mar 9, 2011 at 4:37:07 am

Hello,

I badly want to learn how to create a video like the one below.

I'm fairly confident that this was done with MAYA but am not sure.

I work with FINAL CUT SUITE and ADOBE MASTER COLLECTION. I'm guessing that something like AFTER EFFECTS wont suffice.

If anyone can tell me how this is done - whether or not I need MAYA to do it - what I need to accomplish it and all that jazz.

Thank you in advance.

Best,
Sam G.

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
Re: How To Do This Effect?
on Mar 14, 2011 at 8:19:17 pm

How much money do you have?

Stu

Return to posts index

Sam Gharai
on Mar 14, 2011 at 8:24:37 pm

No where near enough to hire someone to do it.
I'm completely aware of the fact that it is extremely complex. I'm interested in learning to do it myself.

From what I've read - Maya is the way to go - was wondering if there were any other softwares that could be utilized (less expensive perhaps)

I'd definitely hire someone for a pro video that I'm being paid for.

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
on Mar 15, 2011 at 11:28:18 pm

I was just sort of kidding about how much money you have, but it does matter in something like this because in a nutshell, it is a video made with lot's of After Effects 2D work, some 3D stuff from either Maya or (other_3D) programs. Really it's about super camera work and in particular, multiple(expensive)high speed cameras arranged in an array (like an arc)that sort of pan around the action, the footage is then heavily worked post in FCP/Premiere (or other non linear editing programs. It's then worked again into a composite in After Effects (or other) compositing program and re-output for us to enjoy!

There's a video I saw at one point where the technical directors give a breakdown as to how the robbery scene was made, and it involved a crew of about 15 people just to manage the cams, then the actors who had to be perfectly positioned (in very uncomfortable postitions) for long periods of time and they had to be almost perfectly still as the camera array shot the scene. Very time and labor intensive. But essentially that's it, do a google search for high speed camera array stuff and you'll probably find a lot more stuff.

As well, It's always a good thing to learn Maya so if you are interested, I have over 80 tutorials posted on You-Tube for Maya.
Just search for Deepfriedectoplasm on You0Tube and you will find me. Hope that info helps!

Return to posts index

Sam Gharai
on Mar 16, 2011 at 2:27:10 pm

Hahaha

Thank you for the help. Great place for me to start. Can’t thank you enough!

Return to posts index

Matt Nielsen
on Mar 23, 2011 at 2:26:27 am

As stated by Stuart I think that you will find that most of this was done in After Effects utilizing a multi cam setup during production. There will be a few elements that may have been done with some other post production software like Maya but the majority of these effects can be accomplished by a very skilled artist in AE.

If you are trying to replicate the shatter glass effect do some research on google. There are so many tutorials out there that will be able to assist you in breaking down this video. Just analyze sections of it at a time and you will realize that these effects aren't that difficult to replicate. I must say this video is very impressive. Once you create the glass you can simply freeze the positional values of the glass at a particular point and move around in a 3D environment inside of AE.

As for the camera moving around the scene a cheap trick would be to use a green screen, cut out the people and position them in front of the background using 3D elements in AE. This will gives the 3D effect. The gun fire, bullets and displacement waves created from the bullets can also be created in After effects. Good luck and as you go please post your progress I would love to see how you are doing.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]