FORUMS: list search recent posts

Basic questions about Maya

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
kat hayes
Basic questions about Maya
on Feb 23, 2011 at 8:13:18 am

We are considering offering some Maya courses at our school and have some basic questions we are hoping someone can answer. We would like to hire someone to teach two courses, a basic and a follow up course that will each meet once a week for 4 hours for 16 weeks.

1. How much can someone learn and be able to do after a semester of learning Maya? What about two?

2. Is it possible that someone could create basic interactivity like a simple game with Maya after two semesters learning it?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ben van Hamelen
Re: Basic questions about Maya
on Feb 23, 2011 at 11:27:40 am

1. That entirely depends on the skill and knowledge of the teacher and the type of education the students have had. It's near to impossible to just give an estimation. In theory one can learn a lot, but as I said, it depends on all kinds of factors. What kind of study are we talking about?

2. Same goes here, really. Though I've actually gone through a similar semester back in college. In one semester, 50 people, including me, went from none/basic knowledge of 3D and game-engines to making a somewhat decent game. We did, however, make longer days than you're planning for. 5 days a week, 7-8 hours a day. Your 4h/week might not cut it.

Closing, and I can't stress it enough: it all depends of the educational backgrounds of the students and the skill of the teacher.

Cheers,

Ben van H.

http://www.fireinthesole.com/

Return to posts index

kat hayes
on Feb 23, 2011 at 6:52:59 pm

I guess what I'm looking for is, I know Photohop and based on my knowledge of it, I could say that after 1 semester of an intro to Photoshop course students should be able to do work with Layers, Selections, Masks, etc.

I know nothing of Maya.

At the end of a semester based on the number of hours we are planning to teach, what kind of a project can a student create at the end? Will they just have an understanding of the program? Can they create a 30-second animated piece? Can they create a 30-second interactive game?

We will create the goals and the learning objectives for the course and we will then hire a good instructor to teach those goals and learning objectives.

We might be able to do 5-hr courses, though there are lots of regulations. The students will be entering the courses with zero background in animation and Maya.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Ben van Hamelen
on Feb 24, 2011 at 11:56:47 am

I would look for an instructor first and sit down with him and discuss this. Maybe just try one lesson, just to see how the students are picking it up. I can't estimate what your students' backgrounds are, how familiar they are with computer graphics.. or with computers in general.

So I can't tell you what they can be taught in timespan X or Y.

Maybe another CC-er can give a better idea, but with this lack of information, that's probably gonna be tricky.

Good luck,

Ben van H.

http://www.fireinthesole.com/

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]