FORUMS: list search recent posts

Fluid effects Smoke/Fog looks bad, aliasing problem?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oskar Westerberg
Fluid effects Smoke/Fog looks bad, aliasing problem?
on Feb 4, 2011 at 11:18:05 am

Hi everybody.

I have a problem with some smoke/fog created with Maya fluid effects. It comes out looking well bad, jagged perhaps. Can anyone point me in the direction of getting it to look smoother?
This is the render settings that I've been using:

Min Sample Level: 0
Max Sample Level: 2

(I 've tried Min Sample Level 2 Max Sample Level 4 but the few frames I got rendered out before my computer crashed had the same problem.)

Anti-aliasing Contrast: 0.1

Filter: Triangle
Filter Size: 2.000 2.000

Sample Options:

Jitter (turned on)
Sample Lock (turned on)

Picture of the problem: http://simplymaya.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=45885&stc=1&d=12968...

Return to posts index

Oskar Westerberg
Re: Fluid effects Smoke/Fog looks bad, aliasing problem?
on Feb 4, 2011 at 2:36:21 pm

This is the fluidnode settings I've been working with:

Texture Type: Perlin Noise
Coordinate Method: Fixed

Dropoff Shape: -Y Gradient
Edge Dropoff: 0.400

Any idea what I might benefit from changing? I would glady play around with It more but the render is painfully slow on my computer so anymore hints would be grately appreciated.

Also I've tried to turn the Shading Quality > Quality up from 1.000 to 3.000 but that didn't seem to do any difference.

I attached a picture with my settings of opacity and shading quality:
http://simplymaya.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=45887&stc=1&d=12968...

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
on Feb 4, 2011 at 10:53:56 pm

Oskar, I'm not quite sure what your picture looks like because I'm not logged into the forum where it's posted but generally the quality of the smoke fog is specified through it's resolution settings of the FluidShape Container. It's best to up it's resolution after you fine tune the look. At the top of the tab you should see a section for resolution, depending on the size of the container you would increase its resolution by say (20 10 20) to (40 20 40) to (80 40 80) you get the idea. Be aware that increasing resolution size will greatly effect render times. Normally the aliasing option should stay near or at 0 and will actually add weird artifacts if it is turned up to high. Hope that helps. Stu For more on fluid containers check out my You-Tube channel (deepfriedectoplasm).

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
on Feb 14, 2011 at 11:55:31 pm

Hey Oskar, usually on forums where you ask a question and it is responded to, proper etiquette would be a simple response either saying our efforts to help you were either good or bad. Remember, everyone who participates on the creative cow forums do so for free, and usually the only satisfaction that we get out of the whole exchange is knowing that we have helped you in some way with a Maya question. When an exchange is not acknowledged, it sort of makes us think "why the hell should I care about your question?" OK....Rant over. I hope you understand

Return to posts index

Oskar Westerberg
on Feb 15, 2011 at 9:03:28 am

Hi Stuart! Sorry that I haven't answered. I had a really high resolution 250x250x250 so I don't think that that was the problem, but when I changed the Dropoff Shape from -Y Gradient to Sphere It looked much better.

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
on Feb 17, 2011 at 4:17:28 am

Sorry for the rant Oskar, I just like to know the end result and what may have become of the problem! Glad to know you got it worked out! Stu

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]