FORUMS: list search recent posts

mental ray batch render only using 2 of my 16 cores?!

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Paul Roper
mental ray batch render only using 2 of my 16 cores?!
on Feb 1, 2011 at 9:42:35 pm

Hello

I’ve searched around a bit to try to find a solution to this, with no luck. Apologies if it’s been covered elsewhere!

Anyway, I have Maya 2011 on a Mac Pro 2x 2.4GHz Quad core Intel Xeon with 12GB RAM. When I render a single test frame in the render window, my activity monitor shows all cores maxed out...deep joy. But if I set a batch render going on exactly the same scene, even though I’ve set the batch render options to use 16 cores, it plods along VERY slowly, using just TWO cores. Any suggestions on how to fix this, please??

I’m just using the 30 day trial edition at the moment, and 90% sure I’m gonna fork out for the full edition next week...but this render issue is probably gonna push that ‘90% sure’ to somewhere like ‘1% sure’ pretty quickly unless there’s a solution out there.

I haven't yet tested to see if it's the same when rendering with Maya (not mental ray) because I'm still waiting for my incredibly slow 75 frame animation to render. Just doing one frame using Maya software takes about 3x the time it takes mental ray.

I’ve used Maya off and on for many years, mainly on PCs and hoped that 2011 on a reasonably fast Mac would be a joy to use. Oh well.

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
Re: mental ray batch render only using 2 of my 16 cores?!
on Feb 2, 2011 at 9:01:11 pm

When you boot up are you in 32 or 64 bit mode?

I know alot....but not as much as the other guy.

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
on Feb 14, 2011 at 11:56:47 pm

Hey Paul, usually on forums where you ask a question and it is responded to, proper etiquette would be a simple response either saying our efforts to help you were either good or bad. Remember, everyone who participates on the creative cow forums do so for free, and usually the only satisfaction that we get out of the whole exchange is knowing that we have helped you in some way with a Maya question. When an exchange is not acknowledged, it sort of makes us think "why the hell should I care about your question?" OK....Rant over. I hope you understand

Return to posts index

Paul Roper
on Feb 16, 2011 at 4:48:36 am

I've been crazy-busy recently so didn't have any time to respond!

I think there's something on the warmup splash screen that says something about 64 bit...I'm not at work in front of the machine at the moment so I'm not 100% sure.

But even if it were in 32 bit mode, wouldn't this just affect the memory addressing more than processor use?

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
on Feb 17, 2011 at 4:41:05 am

Hey Paul sorry for the rant, I just get crabby sometimes and I really do want to know what happened. Technically, yes, RAM is more of a 64 bit thing, but I think I remember reading something about the multicore and 64 bit issues. Anyway, check the Autodesk Hotfix 3 for Maya 2011, there may something in there that talks about that issue. Technically though, when you choose to do a batch render with all cores it should do just that. Your machine should be able to spit out renders really fast but without knowing what you are trying to render make this sort of difficult. Lot's of imes it can come down to a sample size being too large or something in render settings that really slows stuff down and doesn't really help the quality. Let's keep on looking for the answer. Let me know if anything changes. Stu

Return to posts index

Martin Cook
on Mar 23, 2011 at 9:42:44 am

I'm having exactly the same issue, have you found a fix yet?

Thanks
Martin.

Return to posts index

Paul Roper
on Mar 23, 2011 at 4:14:46 pm

Nope, not found a fix yet...but I guess it varies enormously from scene to scene. It appears that some processes are multi-threaded and some (maybe refraction or some other process) are not. I've recently been working on some very simple animations that beautifully max out all my processors whether I render them using Maya Software or mental ray - but they have no reflections, no refractions and very simple textures - and only a handful of polygons. So they'd render pretty quickly on a single processor system anyway!

It's as if Autodesk have tweaked Maya's basic functions to take advantage of multi processors, but left the more computationally intensive bits alone. Which seems rather silly.

Return to posts index

Martin Cook
on Mar 23, 2011 at 4:17:40 pm

Think I will stick to C4D!!! Can't afford to wait around for Autodesk to offer decent support for mac users!

Return to posts index

keith mcgregor
on Mar 31, 2011 at 5:37:36 pm

I had the same issue and it boiled down to each machine having a mind of it's own. 2 other people I know about have batch rendered through the Render/Batch Render and fiddling with the options there on test sequences and finding the right combination. One person set the render threads to 75% of the actual processors and uncheck auto tiling, then set the memory to 75% of actual and uncheck render on network machines. Worked for him.
But maxing out maya seems to work best for me when I use the command line and set render flags, such as: -r mr (render with mental ray)-rt 0 (render thread cout at 0 to use all available cores) -memory 7000
(which is about 75% of actual physical memory)
I am using 8 core mac pro, with 10 gig memory
since I have been using the terminal .term doc/app from the autodesk maya folder I have experienced 15 to 1600% and all 16 cores max out. I have also stopped using scanline rendering and have been using raytracing for the primary renderer. Hope this helps!
-Beef

Reality? What did you make it?

Return to posts index

Brian Covalt
on Jul 29, 2011 at 2:13:56 am

Hey folks,
I went to google when I encountered the very same problem and found this thread.
Then, after messing around a bit more, I found the solution, at least for my case.

I had to hit the options box next to Batch Render and uncheck "Render on network machines".
Once I did that, it went from using 2 cores to all 16 and I'm now rendering hard and happy.

That made all the difference for me - hope it helps you as well.

Return to posts index

Jakob Christensen
on Nov 7, 2011 at 8:42:35 pm

I had the same problem.
So went to Render > Batch Render > Option Box and unchecked Auto Render Threads. Then I typed in 4 (cause I have 4 cores) and hit Batch Render.
Wow it's really fast now! :)

Return to posts index

lee oneway
on Dec 19, 2011 at 1:13:52 pm

the network-rendering-option did it for me, too! thx!

btw: if you have an quadcore i7 you have 8 threads, as far as i know...

hf&gl

Return to posts index

Torey Alvarez
on Jun 10, 2015 at 5:44:11 pm

Oh ma ga! Thanks man you just saved my butt! That totally worked, I was only getting two out of thirty two cores and it was killing me :/ Thanks again! Google=Genius

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]