FORUMS: list search recent posts

Chain animation with length constraint?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brad Downing
Chain animation with length constraint?
on Dec 25, 2010 at 7:17:10 am

I can not find any tutorial or plugin for creating a chain that uses a spline to animate it.
I have used splines to animate whips and ropes, but they were always fixed at one end (hand).
What I need is a chain that is attached to two objects (left hand/right hand, boat/hand, two cars, etc) and still have the spline be able to animate.
I really don't want the controls to be fixed to the chain links. I used a spline control where the spline uses the control points as a guide, and if you need a more creative shape, you can grab more controls from past the fixed (parented) point.
Problem I am having is length constraint vs, stretching, and having the two ends look locked to their respective attachment points.
I was thinking about the same basic setup as a leg or spine, where the body and the foot can move independently, but if the body moves past a certain point, the foot follows. But in this case, have a floppy object between them, not a 2 bone, rigid, leg.
please help.

Return to posts index

Michael Frank
Re: Chain animation with length constraint?
on Dec 26, 2010 at 5:54:32 am

Hey Brad,

This tutorial is a dynamic chain set up, I believe the rig is using IK splines to control. The spline itself is converted to soft bodies to create the dynamics. Anyways, i think it might help

Mike Frank
Cave House Studios

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]