FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maya fur dynamics

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Cunningham
Maya fur dynamics
on Dec 20, 2010 at 11:22:13 am

Hi, I am trying to get fur that I have created to detach itself from the object it is attached to, and fly away following a path. I am wondering what is the best way to go about it?

I have a polygonal text mesh which has 2 fur descriptions attached to it. It looks exactly the way I want it to, but I then need wind to come in and blow the grass off the mesh.

Any tips? I am working to a very tight deadline (next day or so!) and would appreciate any advice.

Many thanks!

Return to posts index

Michael Frank
Re: Maya fur dynamics
on Dec 21, 2010 at 8:01:01 pm

Hey David,

I'm not an expert at Fur. So I don't know if there are detailed attributes that will allow you to "detach" the fur. I'm assuming that it needs to stick to the original mesh.

So.. the best thing I can think of is to use soft body dynamics. You can convert the original mesh to a soft body and use the original as a "goal". Then attach the fur to the soft body. Attach your dynamics to the soft body. Keyframe the goal settings value to turn it off and let the meshes fly. Turn off renderability for the soft body so all you see is the fur.

I think this method would work but you would need to break your original meshes apart into several pieces. Could lack the detail you need depending on the shot.

Paint FX might have an easier time handling this. You could make the Paint FX curves soft bodies and apply dynamics that way.

Mike Frank
Cave House Studios

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]