FORUMS: list search recent posts

IK/FK joints do not follow arm joints when switched off

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Dower
IK/FK joints do not follow arm joints when switched off
on Dec 12, 2010 at 2:44:21 pm

Hello all. I have been using Maya for two years and am currently studying Computer Animation at University.

I've been rigging a character for my project and up to now it's gone fairly smoothly. I've run into a problem with the IK/FK switch on the arm joints; if the joint is on FK mode, the IK joint will not follow the arm and vice versa. By default, it's on FK mode so the IK joint stays in the default t-pose position and doesn't follow the normal arm joint with the FK. When I switch to IK mode, the FK stops following the joint completely, and the arm moves to where the IK joint is and starts follow that, which is going to cause a lot of problems when animating. At first I thought it was something wrong with the the orient constrains on the arm, but if they are working correctly when the respective joints and switched on, then it must be something else. I've tried replacing the FK.IK joints completely but to no avail.

Here you can see the IK joints in the default t-pose position and the arm following the FK joints.

And when I switch to IK mode, the arm snaps to the IK joint and the FK stops following the arm.

Here are some screenshots of my issue. I have been following a book called An Essential Guide To Maya Character Rigging, which is designed for Maya 2008 but I am running 2011, so maybe it might have something to do with that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]