FORUMS: list search recent posts

Importing .obj texture assignment

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Casey Miller
Importing .obj texture assignment
on Dec 3, 2010 at 11:50:03 pm

Hey gang,

I'm having a little bit of an issue. First off I'm running Maya 2009 (64bit) and I want to open an .obj and have it keep the file extensions. I'm testing this out by making a simple cube, and applying a .jpg to it. I export the cube with materials selected in the options dialog, but when I open the .obj it doesn't reference the image file at all. I am opening and not importing. Awhile back I discovered that you have to open the file and then copy and paste it into the scene to keep the texture reference without actually importing it.

Ok now having said that I've gotten this to work before. I had a simple object, with a .jpg, simply named with no spaces or anything, and when I opened that .obj it worked.

Now it's not working and I can't figure out why. I'm thinking maybe it has something to do with the naming of the shading group? When I export the model for example I would name the lambert testColor and testColorSG for the shading group. Ok but when I open the file it names the lambert testColorSG but since the shading group is already called testColorSG it adds a 1 to the end of the lambert name so it reads testColorSG1. But then I don't see why it doesn't even include a reference to the .jpg in the color swatch of said lambert. Yes the project is set to the folder where all these exported files are kept.

Any ideas what I might be doing wrong?

Thanks folks,

Casey

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]