FORUMS: list search recent posts

Attach separate geometry to ncloth object

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brock Jolet
Attach separate geometry to ncloth object
on Nov 22, 2010 at 11:58:02 pm

I have an ncloth net that is falling over a geometry and thus deforming. I would like to attach smaller geometries (balls) to the ncloth and have them move with the cloth as it adjusts shape. Basically, I would like a way to attach one vertex on each ball to a corresponding vertex on the ncloth and have those vertexes always touch. On top of that, I would like the balls to also move dynamically (bounce), but not deform. What type of constraint or setup would allow me this result?

Return to posts index

Michael Frank
Re: Attach separate geometry to ncloth object
on Nov 23, 2010 at 2:51:44 am

Don't think you can mix and match the nCloth solve with with Rigid/Soft Bodies simulations but I could be wrong..

So what I tried was making a sphere as an nCloth object also. Then I set the "Rigidity" to 10 just as a guess. From there you can select some vertices on the sphere and do a Point to Surface constraint. It seems like it solves the two geometries as one solve pretty well. And the sphere is acting like a rigid body. Don't know how much playing around it would take to look good for your scene. Let me know what you end up doing or how that works out for you.

Mike Frank
Cave House Studios

Return to posts index

Brock Jolet
Re: Attach separate geometry to ncloth object
on Nov 23, 2010 at 5:40:35 pm

I wasn't having much luck with Point to Surface constraints, but after converting the balls to nCloth objects, I do seem to be having success with Component to Component constraints. I pick vertices on the ball and on the net and they stay relatively uniform distances.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]