FORUMS: list search recent posts

creating a net in maya

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brock Jolet
creating a net in maya
on Nov 19, 2010 at 8:19:04 pm

I have a material in maya on which I want to apply cloth dynamics. However, I want the final product to look like a netting. I followed this great tutorial here to enable contour rendering in mental ray and basically render a wireframe of the cloth. This does somewhat look like a cloth, but it doesn't interact with the lighting or cast shadows. The material is for all intents and purposes completely invisible and the wireframing is added afterwards. Is there a better way to achieve this result besides creating a UV map and applying it to the transparency?

Return to posts index

Michael Frank
Re: creating a net in maya
on Nov 19, 2010 at 8:58:48 pm

Recently I came up against a similar problem. We had a client who wanted a net that contains some balloons as they became inflated. I tried a bunch of different stuff but eventually ended up making a pretty high res polygon plane and used nCloth.

I started with like 20 subdivisions in both axis, then put a new edge loop next to each subdivision to get a small amount of thickness. Then I deleted all the interior faces to create the holes of the netting. Afterwards, I think I did a smooth operation (with high continuity) to add more geometry so it could bend between the holes.

Using nCloth, it looked pretty sweet. I had tried doing several spring dynamic soft bodies crossing over each other, but couldnt figure out how to keep it uniform. nCloth simulated the whole thing as one model and it had enough thickness for my tastes.. though you could also extrude it. It also acted the way that a net would.. at first my net was too big and part of the cross sections would slip over the colliding geometry and let a little bit poke out. I'm not sure you would get that reaction with a transparency mapped plane.

Mike Frank
Cave House Studios

Return to posts index

Brock Jolet
on Nov 19, 2010 at 9:10:24 pm

So basically, the best option you came across was to just model a net as opposed to faking it via textures and transparencies?

Return to posts index

Michael Frank
on Nov 19, 2010 at 9:16:40 pm

Hahah yeah. that sums it up.

With what I needed it to do, it was the best way

Mike Frank
Cave House Studios

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]