FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rigging: Add Influence

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robb Hanson
Rigging: Add Influence
on Nov 17, 2010 at 11:39:56 am

Hi there,
I have a completed, weighted character mesh, now I want to add a little bone under the arm to move the back very little.

When I use the "Add Influence" option - I've tried every setting.
It puts a lot of extreme weighting on this little bone and ruins my weighting in the arms, shoulders, back, etc.

Does anyone know how to add this new joint into the influence of the mesh with just the bare minimum of weight, so I can slowly, gently Paint Weights onto it and carefully grow its influence in a small area?

Please help, I'm running out of time. Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Michael Frank
Re: Rigging: Add Influence
on Nov 17, 2010 at 7:34:59 pm

In the Add Influence options there is a setting that's called "Weight Locking". If you check "Lock Weights" then it will set the influence to whatever you set as the default weight. I think it will make this uniform across the whole model and then put the influence object on "hold".

If you set it to 0, it won't show up in the component editor.. but it will show up in Paint Skin weights tool. So try that and set it for 0.. then open paint skin weights, toggle hold off for the influence object and paint some influence. Once you add some influence it should show up in component editor.

Mike Frank
Cave House Studios

Return to posts index

Robb Hanson
on Dec 22, 2010 at 5:48:04 am

Thanks. That's exactly what I ended up doing.
Best regards

Return to posts index

stefan lafleur
on Dec 8, 2011 at 8:39:31 am

thanks just what i needed
i was in a bind

and thank god for search engines :)

and you ...of course !

Have a great week :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>