Character IKs problem

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mat Behr
Character IKs problem
on Nov 7, 2010 at 11:55:49 pm

Hi all,
I'm animating a character using self-built skeleton and ikRP_solvers,
the thing is, I put an IK for the arm and then more IKs for the fingers, but when I move the arm's IK handle the finger's bones moves with it but the finger's IK handle just sticks up there at the original position and, of course when I try to move the finger's IK the finger will snap to the IK position - makes it impossible to work with.
I tried tweeking IK handle parameters but nothing...
the leg, by the way, was working fine - didn't have that problem.
I know I'm missing something but I have no idea what it is..

Example:

Return to posts index

Michael Frank
Re: Character IKs problem
on Nov 8, 2010 at 7:59:29 am

What happens if you parent the Finger IK handle to the Arm IK Handle?

Mike Frank
Cave House Studios

Return to posts index

Mat Behr
on Nov 8, 2010 at 6:30:47 pm

This was my first thought, I was sure that will solve this but it doesn't make any difference.

Return to posts index

Michael Frank
on Nov 8, 2010 at 8:19:16 pm

Hmmm. yeah I tried this too. At first it seemed to work fine. But when I set a keyframe on the second IK handle it got locked up.

Parenting the keyframed IK handle and it would move with the parent but just jump around all out of wack.

Not sure what's going on with this, but I wonder why do you need an IK handle for the fingers? It seems like a lot of extra work to have to physically move the handle versus doing FK and set driven key to open/close.

Mike Frank
Cave House Studios

Return to posts index

Mat Behr
on Nov 8, 2010 at 10:10:45 pm

:)
Now I've managed to solve the problem by parenting IK handles In the Hypergraph. first, I cleared out all IKs and started all over again, carefully arranging the IKs hierarchy, and it seems to work OK.
I don't know the technic you mentioned, I'm kind of new to MAYA (I was working mainly with 3ds max). can you direct me to a good tutorial for this?
Thanks a lot.
Mat

Return to posts index

Michael Frank
on Nov 9, 2010 at 5:27:30 pm

Just briefly glanced this over, looks like the goods -

http://lesterbanks.com/2010/11/maya-finger-rigging-tutorial-using-joints-se...

Around 9-10minute mark is about where you're at. From there he skins the model, then sets up the set driven key for curling the finger in.

Mike Frank
Cave House Studios

Return to posts index

Mat Behr
on Nov 9, 2010 at 9:04:20 pm

Gtreat! I'll give it a go.
thank you very much for your help.
:)

Return to posts index

Matt Nielsen
on Nov 17, 2010 at 11:31:41 pm

Hi,

I know this is a bit late but you may have actually had the IK system turned off. It may have been using FK instead of IK. I just want to add in that if you are interested there is another more simple method for animating a hand. I know you are new to Maya but it will allow you to automate the curling of the fingers without you having to move them independantly using control curves. Basically you could use Set Driven Keys. You would create a new attribute for each finger called leftfinger1Curl, leftfinger2Curl etc.. Once they are all created you would use the set driven key so that at a value of 0 they are straight and then at a value of 10 they are curled into the hand.

Once you have this set up all you need to to to animate is key values between 0-10 in the Channel Box to move the fingers. Very simple and quick to do and much cleaner than having to set up ik systems for each finger. If you want to try this and have any problems just write back and I will try to lay it out as best as possible but there are many tutorials on the net.

Hope this helps

EDIT: P.S. I probably should have mentioned that the driven keys are driving the rotational values of the finger joints so you don't need ik systems on the hands.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]