FORUMS: list search recent posts

Weird rotation in my nurbs loft

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Quentin Hab
Weird rotation in my nurbs loft
on Oct 28, 2010 at 9:16:59 pm

Hi there! I am just starting out with Maya, starting out with modeling a pig with nurbs. I projected the curve of the lowest Isoparm of the ear (in the following picture) onto the sphere to then make a connection between the two with Loft or Fillet Blend. However my problem is that I have a weird rotation in both my Loft and Fillet Blend that I don't want. It looks like this:

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/5028/mayaro01.jpg
This is when Loft is used, Fillet Blend has thesame twist

It seems to me that the outer side of the curve connects to the inner side of the Isoparm, instead of the outside. I have tried all the reversal options but I can't figure it out. What am I doing wrong? Help is appreciated!

Return to posts index

Michael Frank
Re: Weird rotation in my nurbs loft
on Oct 29, 2010 at 3:22:00 pm

Ah yeah.. I remember this one. When you project the curve onto the surface - Maya rebuilds the curve to adapt to the surface geometry. So what you think is a duplicate of your original curve actually isn't. If you check the CV's there should be a lot more on your surface curve.

To fix, select your curve on surface and Edit Curves -> Duplicate Surface Curve. Then loft between the curve on surface and the new duplicate.

Mike Frank
Cave House Studios

Return to posts index

Quentin Hab
on Oct 30, 2010 at 10:10:12 pm

Hi Mike, thanks for the reply

I duplicated the surface curve and using Loft or the Fillet Tool between the surface curve and this new curve works fine, thanks for that!

I do have a new problem:
If I attach the upper isoparm of the newly created Loft or Fillet Blend shape, and attach it to the lowest Isoparm of the Ear surface, I get thesame twist/rotation problem. I understand why, its obviously still thesame two curves (isoparms) that differ from each other. How could i attach the two together? Or is there another way to Fillet Blend the ear to the head?

Return to posts index

Michael Frank
on Oct 31, 2010 at 5:15:53 pm

Yeah what you're running into is the reason why I don't like using NURBS for organic modeling. Since you need to have a uniform surface, it takes a lot of planning to create a model structure that can flow correctly and blend well. There is a technique/workflow called "patch modeling" you might want to look into.

Without adapting your surface to have the same structure/makeup as that projected curve.. you'll never be able to get a clean loft to fillet between them. Maybe if you used a boolean you could fillet between them, but that'll end up with a trimmed surface which is generally kind of a no-no.

Personally I favor Subdiv's or Smooth Polys for organic modeling because you aren't limited to having uniform surface structure.

Mike Frank
Cave House Studios

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]