FORUMS: list search recent posts

Creating Ocean with Displacement and Particles

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Finn
Creating Ocean with Displacement and Particles
on Oct 20, 2010 at 9:56:34 pm

I'm working on a shot of a full CG ocean that needs to collide into various rocks and eventually the shore. The waves have to be pretty large in some parts so I've created an animated displacement map so that I can control where they get large and where they don't and I'm running this through a vray displacement. I'm guessing this rules out collisions but I was wondering if I could somehow get a number of emitters to sit on top of the displacement and emit particles at the various objects that need spray and for the particles only to become visible when they collide. Sorry for being so long winded but is this feasible? Is there a much easier way of going about it?

Thanks,
Pad

Return to posts index

Patrick Finn
Re: Creating Ocean with Displacement and Particles
on Oct 21, 2010 at 7:54:04 pm

As a quick update I've been looking at Duncan's past posts on issues similar to this using the colour of the ocean shader to generate particles. Whilst it's slightly different as I'm using a custom greyscale image could I still use the colorAtPoint for a certain point to generate the height? Also could I still use the original code to generate particles at the top of a wave? As I'm playing with it the particles are only getting emitted at the original flat plane position. . .

Return to posts index

Patrick Finn
on Oct 23, 2010 at 1:37:58 pm

Ok most problems sorted with this apart from one. The greyscale file I'm using to control the particle's emission height is offset from another instance of the file that is being used to deform the plane. Has anyone got any ideas at all? I could really use some help on this.

Pad

Return to posts index

Patrick Finn
on Oct 27, 2010 at 5:45:33 pm

I'm gutted no one could help with this. I know there are some pretty keen minds around when it comes to Maya dynamics. If anyone should come across a similar problem though I've posted my code here:

http://pastebin.com/t3KFGGCT

I had to normalize the emitter position relative to the UV coordinates of the file I was using to deform the waves plane. So I had to add a few lines of code to my existing expression. I also added an extra couple of lines to ensure that the particles inherited the colour of the waves they had just left.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]