FORUMS: list search recent posts

Rotating an object and animating in one axis only

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Lee
Rotating an object and animating in one axis only
on Oct 17, 2010 at 9:08:56 pm

Hello
I really need some help with this please as its driving me nuts.
Simple problem but I am having difficulty.

I am trying to rotate a group of objects 90 degrees (actually they are 3 objects (mesh combined) to make one so should behave as one right?)

Ok so I set my pivot point to the correct position and press the s key at frame zero. then I go to frame 15 and rotate the object 90 degrees in the z axis straight up and press the s key again.
when I play this back I am expecting the object to rotate 90 degrees over 15 frames in the z axis. What I get is the object wanders in both the x and the y axis whilst rotating and then ends up in the correct position at frame 15.
I check the graph and I see slanted x and y lines.

If this is making sense to you can you tell me where I am going wrong please?

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
Re: Rotating an object and animating in one axis only
on Oct 18, 2010 at 10:21:42 pm

Hello David, Just a thought, have you tried parenting the object you are trying to rotate to the group? then apply keyframes? STU

I know alot....but not as much as the other guy.

Return to posts index

David Lee
on Oct 19, 2010 at 8:58:09 am

Yes thanks Stu
The parenting worked but I guess its the same as mesh combine. I think I know what is happening. The object I want to rotate is rotated 45 degrees in its initial position as you look at it in the top view and it will rotate fine if I rotate it manually because I have the rotate gimble in local mode.. The Green rotate axis is 45 degrees clockwise and that means I can rotate in the blue axis from zero to 90 no problem.
But when I set my animation keys to do this over a 10 frame time period, the rotate gimble reverts back to world and the object rotates in THAT axis which is not what I want.
Its so frustrating.
Do you have any ideas?

Return to posts index

David Lee
on Oct 19, 2010 at 1:37:08 pm

OK I managed to sort it. It simply was the rotation order xyz. I read about Gimble lock and that pointed me in the right direction and I changed the rotation order to zxy. Simple when you know how.... Thanks for your input. :-)

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
on Oct 21, 2010 at 6:03:19 pm

Yes, I actually forgot about the whole gimble lock rotation order so I'm glad you were persistent! Maya is a funny beast and sometimes takes some super sluething to get things right! Best of Luck. STU

I know alot....but not as much as the other guy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]