FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maya complex camera animation

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Moss
Maya complex camera animation
on Oct 14, 2010 at 4:22:58 am

Hi there,

I'm creating an entire 3d solar system and need help animating my camera. The entire shot is approximately 3 minutes long. The camera has to look like a 1st person view of zooming around the system. (around, over and under the planets, through asteroid belts, nebulas etc...)

I have all elements in place, now I just need to get the camera animated correctly.

I know how to attach it to a curve, but can't seem to get it to look right. Looks choppy, and quick and sudden turns, not smooth at all.

Is there an easier way to do this?

Or a tutorial you can point me too? All I found was quick and easy tutorials to animate a camera in a straight line.

Return to posts index

David Hamilton
Re: Maya complex camera animation
on Nov 24, 2010 at 7:23:01 am

You need to draw out a curve, attach the camera to it through the animate>motion path and then go into to the "dope sheet" which is a graph editor to adjust the speed. I'm still learning myself but this is where I'm at.

Whats interesting to me is I have looked all over the internet to find dedicated tutorials for camera movement and have found astonishingly little. However I have found youtube to be a good place to find slightly less professional but still somewhat effective tutorials on camera movement. You just have to watch a few and piece it together for yourself. Maybe once you and I figure out Maya cameras we should do our own tutorials =)

Return to posts index

Mike Moss
Re: Maya complex camera animation
on Nov 24, 2010 at 4:40:09 pm

thanks for your response Dave. :)

It amazed by also on how this is the first response to this thread. Figured this would be an easy one.

I have my camera attached to a motion path already. (Havent seen the Dope sheet" yet, but ill look at that next.)

The camera needs to move in all directions (x,y,z) thats where i was getting stuck. When you draw the curve, the curve stays on a single plane. I was hoping there was an easy way of adjusting the y values at certain points in time. Guess ill just have to adjust the vertex points of my curve where needed to give it that proper motion.

I'll let you know if i figure anything out.

Thanks again! :)
Mike

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]