FORUMS: list search recent posts

Depth pass in Maya 2010 problem

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mike Throck
Depth pass in Maya 2010 problem
on Jul 2, 2010 at 12:56:32 am

I'm able to render out a depth pass using the new mental ray pass system, but every object is the scene is within a few shades of middle grey.

I know in previous versions you could edit the set_range node using the old_min and old_max values to get a greater range of values.

Anyone know how to do this in Maya 2010?

Return to posts index

Blake Harrington
Re: Depth pass in Maya 2010 problem
on Jul 2, 2010 at 2:44:46 pm

Have you tried using environment fog to get a z depth pass? It's easy to set up and works well. Someone posted this and I've used it with great results. Use Maya Software render.

"Go to render globals, render options, environment fog.. click the checker box and it will automatically assign an environment fog. set the color to black and uncheck the "color based transparency". Saturation distance is the max scene distance where saturation will have effect on. experiment on that one. also, under the "clipping planes" tab set the fog near/far distance according to the min/max object-camera distances of your scene.
Assign a surface shader to all the scene objects, set the "out color" to white. also if there are any lights in your scene...turn them off. "

Return to posts index

Mike Throck
on Jul 2, 2010 at 5:10:11 pm

Thanks for the work around, I'll give it a shot. It would be nice to know how to do it using proper render passes.

Return to posts index

Mike Throck
on Jul 6, 2010 at 12:00:08 am

I just get all white, what am I doing wrong?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]