FORUMS: list search recent posts

Getting lightfog to pass through/interact with pngs with transparency

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Wheeler
Getting lightfog to pass through/interact with pngs with transparency
on Jul 1, 2010 at 8:18:08 am

Hi there,

Im trying to use lightfog on a spotlight to display fog shadows. I can do this with normal geometry but I cant figure out how to do it with polygon planes with a PNG texture (currently using Lambert material).

What I want to occur is visible light passing through the transparent parts of my .PNG textured plane but stopping where there is image.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Blake Harrington
Re: Getting lightfog to pass through/interact with pngs with transparency
on Jul 2, 2010 at 2:37:55 pm

I've never attempted that so not sure even if Maya can handle it out of the box. One possible workaround that may work for your situation would be open the image in Illustrator and use the Live Trace to quickly create a black and white vector shape of the image. You can then import the illustrator file into Maya and create a Planar surface from the curves. Turn off the primary visibility for the planar and just let it block the light. Then comp the original image back in post. I've never tried this either, but just a thought.

Return to posts index

Ben Wheeler
on Jul 2, 2010 at 5:18:03 pm

Blake that is a very good idea, I can imagine this would work perfectly. Why didnt I think of this!?!!

What would be even better if I could do this in a batch format, as I need to convert a 2D animation into 3D a bit like a stage set.

Methinks I will have a look to see if there are any batch plugins for illustrator or perhaps a way of doing this in photoshop.

Thanks so much, I will let you know how I get on.

Ben

Return to posts index

Blake Harrington
on Jul 3, 2010 at 3:53:08 am

That technique is better for a still frame...with an animation it might take way too long.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]