FORUMS: list search recent posts

Geometry Spiking When Animating

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Nielsen
Geometry Spiking When Animating
on Jun 30, 2010 at 12:34:43 am

Hey Guys,

I have a friend who is creating a small animation that I am helping him with. Basically he is animating a variety of characters around a scene and for some reason the geometry has started to spike at random times e.g. when the boy is walking up the hallway all of a sudden a vertex in his back starts to spike out. It gets larger and larger. I have been through his meshes and binding and i can't find anything wrong with them. The other thing that is really strange is that it doesn't happen all of the time. We can be working in one scene and not have it happen, but when we move to the next scene it will happen again. This is also happening with other characters at random times as well. Has this happened to any of you guys before?? I have had this occur during renders after which i just went back and rerendered the frame and it was fine. But I have never had this occur during the animation stage. Thanks for any advice given.

Matt..

Return to posts index

Blake Harrington
Re: Geometry Spiking When Animating
on Jun 30, 2010 at 9:16:32 pm

Did you try using the paint weights tool to push the vertex back into place after it shoots out?

Return to posts index

Alvaro Castaneda
on Jun 30, 2010 at 9:34:51 pm

I think you smoothed/ subdivided the geo after the skinning

am I right?

----------------------
varomix - pixelEater
http://www.intelianimate.com

Return to posts index

Matt Nielsen
on Jul 1, 2010 at 11:34:18 pm

Hey Guys,

We have tried a few different things but this is what seems to work. He finished off the animation ignoring the spikes, then re-referenced the rigged file and it has removed all of the spiking. The animation is now working correctly with no obvious problems. Oh and Alvaro he did the smoothing before the binding, as I said it is really strange as I have only ever seen this error in rendered frames not the viewport while animating. We would like to thank everyone for their help. We really appreciate you guys getting back to us so quickly.

Matt

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]