FORUMS: list search recent posts

UV Texture Editor problems

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah Bunn
UV Texture Editor problems
on Jun 16, 2010 at 1:01:00 pm

Hey, I've been using Maya 2009 at university for nearly a year, and I am hoping that the answer to this problem will be pretty simple. My problem is that when my object animates (that would be a rose blooming), my texture does not stay on the mesh.

So far I have only put my texture on one petal to make sure that it works. While the petal (made from polygons) is in it's original position, the texture looks fine.

However, when I make the petals curl up, the texture (just a .jpg file) gets distorted.

I can see that the problem is with the UV layout, but I have no idea how to fix this. I suspect that it has something to do with the process I used.

The Process: The animation on the rose petals was there long before I looked into UV mapping. Firstly, I exported my first petal as an .obj (while it was in a neutral position) and flattened out the UV map in UVlayout. After doing that, I saved it out as an .obj and imported that back into Maya on top of my original petal. Next I copied the UV map I had made on the duplicate petal and placed it on the original petal. This was done using 'Mesh >> Transfer Attributes' - and in the option box I had 'UV Sets' set to 'All', and the rest to 'Off' (I tried with 'Vertex position' on too, but that made things worse). This all seemed to work just fine. Then I noticed that the texture only displayed correctly while the rose petal was in it's neutral position. The rest of the time it was distorted. I noticed that in the UV Texture Editor window, the UV map is trying to deform with the petal, which is what I don't want. I tried deleting history, but that killed my animation. Also, if I delete the duplicate of the petal, the UV map disappears too, and it reverts back to a basic rectangular map that badly stretches the texture.

So I am hoping that at least some of that information will help uncover what I did wrong. My best guess is that there is a step that I did wrong or something I am missing. If there is some way that I can fix this without having to redo the entire animation, that would be great.

Thanks,
Sarah

Return to posts index

Sarah Bunn
Re: UV Texture Editor problems
on Jun 19, 2010 at 11:20:52 am

I was lucky enough to get my teacher to answer this problem for me. I am posting the solution here just in case anyone else runs into the same problem.

Right click on the geometry (the petal in this particular case), then go to 'Inputs >> All Inputs...' Then MMB drag the 'Transfer Attributes' input below the deformer. Problem solved.

Even though no one here was able to help me, I hope that this helps someone else.

Return to posts index

Jeeven George
on Oct 15, 2011 at 5:25:40 am

hey iam kinda new to maya... and iam having the same problem... i got u till the part to MMB the transfer attributes... then drag it and do wat can u explain...

thanks jeeven

Return to posts index

Sarah Bunn
on Oct 15, 2011 at 1:19:18 pm

Wow I thought this thread was dead, lol.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean, so hopefully what I write below helps.

From the sounds of it you're in the window titled "List of input operations for [object]". Under that will be a short list. One or more of those items will be labelled "Transfer Attributes" (I assume you've found that too). Just MMB drag it (or them) under the deformer, or just to the bottom of the list if you're not sure what the deformer is. It should work fine after that.

I'm assuming that's what your problem was. Your post wasn't very descriptive. If this doesn't work, maybe you could describe the problem with more detail, or add screenshots if you think that will help.

Return to posts index

Jeeven George
on Oct 17, 2011 at 9:25:02 am

sorry for the late reply i was travelling... And thank u very much for the detailed reply it helped alot...

Return to posts index

kloe gag
on Jun 22, 2012 at 2:21:38 pm

Hello, I have subscribed to this website just to answer this thread.

So i am hoping you are still available after all this time..

I followed your explanation to the letter, but I cannot find the "Transfer Attributes" look :

I have been looking all over for a answer since yesterday and this is for a work project...

Return to posts index

Vuk Nikolic
on Oct 15, 2013 at 8:06:08 pm

I think that your random chaotic art was looking great before you fixed it. Btw I have the problem to MMB some items/inputs, not all of them wanted to allow me to be moved/swapped, interesting? Did you have this problem ever? For example Projection UV node that I need can not be moved for some reason

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]