FORUMS: list search recent posts

mi displacement shader

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john terry
mi displacement shader
on May 29, 2010 at 4:58:41 pm

hi!

somebody know how to connect some photoshop file/texture to mi displacement shader? (in mental ray tab, and not displacement mat.)

when i was trying to find some info about on web, i found we need to connect anything that returns scalar, what does it mean? connecting a texture to mi displacement don't work..

"using the displace slot/connection in the mental ray tab which takes in any shader that can return a scalar.

"Any scalar." That scalar is used to displace along the normal. If you use a multi-output shader from Maya's library of shaders, you will need to use a conversion shader to create a single scalar output.

thx for any help

retouch.graphixmotion.com

Return to posts index

Michiel Duvekot
Re: mi displacement shader
on May 29, 2010 at 7:42:46 pm

In the context of mental ray, a scalar is a one-component quantity. Most color values are three component quantities, (red, green and blue) but some shader attributes require input that has only a single quantity. We typically use the alpha value for such attributes, and Maya provides the very useful 'alpha is luminance' mechanism on file nodes (it's in the Attribute Editor under Color Balance) that outputs the luminance value of a file texture as its alpha channel.

So all those fancy words basically mean, you don't need to do anything, Maya will take care of it for you.

Return to posts index

john terry
on May 30, 2010 at 8:11:22 am

ok thx, it's more clear now for me.

but mi displacement shader still don't work...

connections i tried:

file "outalpha" connected to midisplacement. (alpha is luminance ON in color balance of the file node"

or file to RGB/luminance node conversion, mib color alpha, then to mi displacement shader..

somebody experienced with mi displacement shader?
there is no information in maya/mr help and difficult to find something on the web.
thx

http://retouch.graphixmotion.com

Return to posts index

Michiel Duvekot
on Jun 5, 2010 at 6:50:41 pm

This image shows how the connections are made in the Hypershade.

http://thnkr.com/wiki/index.php?title=File:MiaDisplaceShadingNetwork.png

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]