FORUMS: list search recent posts

Snowy Forest

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Collins White
Snowy Forest
on May 24, 2010 at 11:00:32 pm

Hi, I've been tasked with creating a snowy forest scene for a project in Maya and have already come accross a few problems. First and foremost is the problem of creating trees with snow on them. I've looked at the paint effects trees, but most of them are more springy than wintery and the more I look at it the more I think that paint effects is not actually the best way to go about this. I don't really want to model the trees individually, as I think that would be very time consuming and create a very heavy scene polygon wise.
If anyone has an effecient method of how to make snow/ice covered trees I would appreciate it.
Also I have this feeling that I'm going to come across several more problems that aren't on the horizon yet and if any one had any helpful hints tips or suggestions or even just a heads up when it comes to modeling a wintery scene I'd appreciate those too as I haven't found too much out there regarding winter.
Thanks in advance,
-Collins

Return to posts index

Steven Jones
Re:Maya Adding Subdivisions to a cube
on May 25, 2010 at 12:41:52 am

I am really new to Maya. Currently following some tutorials from this site.The problem is with placing a cube in the viewport and the add subdivisions everything o.k. However as soon as you move any vertex to resize but still keeping the cube shape and then add subdivisions the shape becomes really distorted. I must be missing something simple here but it works in the tutorial.

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
Re: Re:Maya Adding Subdivisions to a cube
on May 28, 2010 at 10:59:25 pm

Hello Steven, my guess is that when you selected the vertex you inadvertantly selected more than the singular vertex you wanted. It really helps to switch to X-ray mode when selecting the vertex. X-ray will let you see all of the vertices in the cube. If Xray is off, you could accidently choose on on the other side of you cube without knowing unless you check each surface before adding divisions. Just a thought. Let us know if that's not the problem. STU

I know alot....but not as much as the other guy.

Return to posts index

Steven Jones
Re: Re:Maya Adding Subdivisions to a cube
on Jun 16, 2010 at 7:31:08 pm

Thanks for that but the problem still remains. if I use wireframe and increase the subdivisions from one to two, it appears that maya is creating the subdivsion but diagonally not across the selected object and this occurs in x y and z. Again if I apply the subs straight away after creation no problem it is only after the object has been scaled. It also occurs if the object is scaled from object mode and not just by selecting the subobjects which I hadnt noticed before the last post.

It really is a mystery

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]