FORUMS: list search recent posts

Animating a beer bottle

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam McEwen
Animating a beer bottle
on May 18, 2010 at 6:08:59 pm

Hi everyone,

I am creating an animation involving a bottle of beer which will be animated using a simple skeleton rig. I need the liquid inside the bottle to very simply animate as if it is rocking from side to side, no pouring or splashing, just rocking. My initial idea of using planes as boolean objects constrained to the skeletons position so that the fluid would stay flat when the bottle was deformed or tilted didn't work because of the unpredictability of the boolean operation (faces disappeared and deformed).

I am wondering if there is a way of using a similar method without the boolean operation. Is there a way I can use nodes to tell an object to display only the geometry that is below a certain other object and vice versa for above? Using the height field node perhaps? I need to be able to control the rocking of the fluid also.

Any other ideas how I could do this? Would a MEL if else statement work? If so could someone give me a few pointers?

Would be awesome if i could get some help on this.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Alvaro Castaneda
Re: Animating a beer bottle
on May 19, 2010 at 8:06:32 pm

Hi
You could try to make the liquid from NURBS, lofted curves, and the top curve just rotate it to you liking

that could work

or with that Idea in mind, make it a poly and add a cluster to the top part and use that cluster to move it, if this is crazy movement, this ideas might not work

l8r

----------------------
varomix - pixelEater
http://www.intelianimate.com

Return to posts index

Michael Frank
on May 20, 2010 at 2:27:28 am

Not exactly sure how you are setting this rig up..

But you might try setting this up in post. If you have some kind of reference pass, you could cut off the liquid from going outside of the bottle in compositing.

Mike Frank
Cave House Studios

Return to posts index

Adam McEwen
on May 20, 2010 at 9:05:38 am

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I've sorted the issue I was having with the boolean now so I am going to go with my original planned method. The problem was that I was using planes instead of cubes to perform the boolean operation. Seems obvious now but hey, I learned somthing new and its working so im happy.

Thanks again for the suggestions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]