FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cameras in Maya...

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Pierre Paré-Blais
Cameras in Maya...
on May 9, 2010 at 10:46:09 pm

I'm in need of a little advice regarding Cameras in Maya

I am an after effect artist by training and practice, but for a recent documentary project, I've had to delve into the world of maya. So far so good, I think I catch on pretty fast in all humility. But recently I've been having a bit of a headache over animating nice camera trajectories... I've created this scene based on historical drawings of a park that was never built, the landscape modelling and texturing I'm satisfied with, but the camera animation is terrible... what I'm going for is a long elaborated voyage through the scene, following paths of the park, once in a while lifting up over buildings, crane and dolly type shots, and although in the final sequence there will be some dissolves and edits, it needs to feel like one continuous camera movement. Unfortunately in my attempts so far, this has proved harder then I thought... and I'm sure it's just a matter of me not doing things right! I wrongfully assumed cameras in maya would behave like in after effects, but while the general concept seems to be the same, in practice they have proved a lot harder for me.

Now in my learning process so far, I've found a lot of great and helpful tuts, articles and training for lighting, modelling, texturing and rendering, character animation, but found few that deal with camera...

I know there is a great maya community out there, so I figured I'd ask around if any of the pro's could recommend some good tutorials or training dvd's and such that deal specifically or at least in good details with this issue. any suggestions are welcome, from beginner level to advance.

thanks

Return to posts index

Sarah Bunn
Re: Cameras in Maya...
on Jun 16, 2010 at 1:17:04 pm

I wouldn't call myself a pro (actually, I kinda a noob), but it sounds to me like you need to tweak out your camera's movement in the graph editor. With your camera selected, go to Window >> Animation Editors >> Graph Editor. Make sure that the lines that represent your camera's movement flow as smoothly as possible. From personal experience I have found that the less keyframes there are, the smoother the animation. If you haven't used the graph editor before, you may want to check out a tutorial for it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]