FORUMS: list search recent posts

proe into maya

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Allan Bouken
proe into maya
on Mar 14, 2010 at 10:28:19 pm

Brand new Maya user here, please be nice.

I am having a bit of grief importing from Pro Engineer into Maya.

I tried my ProE Wildfire 4 parts directly into Maya 2008, but the computer said no.

I did get ProE - IGES - Maya to work, but the geometry that came in was a number of surfaces, not a "solid" or even a "group" of surfaces.

Any hints/tips on the best way to get geometry from ProE into Maya, and if the way I already found is the preferred method, how do I group/merge all the surfaces so they become one item?

And if I bring in an assembly, as in, say, a bottle and cap, how do I then tell Maya which surfaces are the bottle and which are the cap?

Any help appreciated.

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
Re: proe into maya
on Mar 15, 2010 at 5:33:28 am

Hey Allen...Look, sometimes the best way to make Maya perform like you want is to create the geometry directly in Maya and not try all the different import type options. Bottles and caps can be made easily in Maya and by the time you try and figure out strange problems you could have just re-modeled the object. From a noob perspective, try and create within Maya and really get to know the "guts" of the program.

I'm not that familiar with ProE but it seems that it's more of a CAD nurbs modeling program like Rhino, and lord knows I've had issues with sending files to and fro with Maya. Unless it's an absolute necessity to import your ProE files into Maya, I'd just recreate the models in Maya...it's good practice.

That being said it's great to know that you are stretching your mind trying to figure all this stuff out! Keep with it because if you have a burning desire to do this, Maya will be your best friend. Cheers! STU

I know alot....but not as much as the other guy.

Return to posts index

Michiel Duvekot
on Mar 15, 2010 at 3:08:55 pm

You should be able to use DirectConnect to import Pro/ENGINEER files into Maya. If you haven't done so yet, visit
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?id=13643327&siteID=123112
for the latest info.

It's important, however to realize that Maya is a surface modeler, which means there is no such thing as a solid in Maya. To "combine" surfaces, you would use Edit -> Group.

Return to posts index

Allan Bouken
on Mar 15, 2010 at 9:29:33 pm

I'll definitely look into Directconnect.

I design a lot of plastic moulded parts, and after spending hours/days on them in ProE so I can use them in tooling design, the last thing I want to be doing is remodelling from scratch in Maya.

That said though, I'm definitely interested in learning to model in Maya, as it looks like it can do some funky stuff.

I tried Edit-Group to join up all the individual surfaces of my bottle, but it didn't give me the results I expected. After grouping if I clicked on the model and then used Move or whatever, only the surface I clicked on moved, not the whole model.

I'm probably doing something wrong, and being brand new to Maya I guess that's to be expected.

Thanks for the feedback.

Return to posts index

Michiel Duvekot
on Mar 15, 2010 at 9:55:36 pm

After grouping, selecting an object in the model view will not select the group. You can switch from the default object mode to hierarchy mode or select the group in the outliner or hypergraph.

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
on Mar 16, 2010 at 3:54:29 am

Thanks for responding Michiel! Now today I learned something as well. I did not know that there is no such thing as a solid in Maya! Thanks as well for answering all of the diverse questions about Maya here on the COW.

I can't tell you how much I've learned from all the posts. Everyday it's a mind stretch to grasp all things Maya! You know alot and you are a super asset somewhere out there in cyberland! Thanks for all you do! STU

I know alot....but not as much as the other guy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]