FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't see selection box on drag -and- time slider not highlighted

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Svetlana Shneyder
Can't see selection box on drag -and- time slider not highlighted
on Mar 7, 2010 at 4:08:41 pm

help!!!!!

i'm just a beginner, so please, no fancy terminology. give it to me in laymans terms. that said...

1-i just installed maya 2010 on my new laptop (see specs below)...

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T6600
4GB installed memory
320GB hard drive
17.3" Diagonal HD+ High-Definition HP LED BrightView Widescreen Display (1600 x 900)
Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500MHD (shared) with up to 1759MB total available graphics memory

i noticed right off the bat when i forst opened the software, when i wanted to drag-select an object (something as simple as a sphere, shall we say), i couldn't see the selection box (gray border that appears around the object as you drag). mind you, the object WAS being selected (upon left mouse button release), but it's a "drag" not being able to see that selection box (when i know for a fact it's supposed to be there!). it works on my computer at school, but not on my laptop at home. i asked my professor, he has NO clue what's going on. i googled it, to no avail. one of the posters here had the same problem, but she never elaborated on how she fixed the prblems, she just said it had something to do with her vista display prefs, but she didn't mention what she did to remedy the problem :-(

i fooled around with my maya settings/prefs, nothing happened. and i'm not exactly computer saavy, so i wouldn't know how to mess w/ folders (prefs), so unless someone can talk me through it, step by step, i'm completely lost :-(

could it be my video card? not that i would know what to do about it. if anyone can help me out, i'd be ever so grateful! thanks in advance.

and...

2-i bet this is a related issue... again, i'm seeing it at school, but not at home. it works for everyone, except me! i watched tutorial after tutorial, even at lynda.com, and it's just something that happens automatically, a given, and that is...

you know how on the time slider, the frames become highlighted/darkened/blackened when you select a frame? well, it's not happening for me! i can tell what frame i'm in by looking off to the right of the time slider, but the time slider itself remains white. how do i get it to become highlighted when selected?

i can still manage to get my projects done, but it's annoying as heck when you know something should be functioning that isn't! makes me wonder whether i'm going to experience furture more serious problems down the line, when i REALLY get into it, you know? sigh

k, well, if anyone knows how to fix these 2 issues, please, please, please let me know! thank you sooooo much!

Return to posts index

Svetlana Shneyder
Re: Can't see selection box on drag -and- time slider not highlighted
on Mar 8, 2010 at 5:55:45 am

it's just as i thought (feared, is more like it!), it's my graphics card *grrr*!!!!!

apparently maya 2010 does not support it. there's a list of qualified workstations and graphics cards at the autodesk website, but they're much too expensive for a poor student like me, so i was hoping...

would anyone, perhaps, know a workaround? if so, please let me know!

and...

is this just the beginning of my problems? or can i (try to) live w/ these relatively harmless limitations? is this a sign of something worse to come? will my graphics card eventually screw me over?

please let me know! i'd be ever so grateful!

thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

ismael niang
on Oct 8, 2010 at 8:19:48 pm

Had the same problem most definitely the graphic card go to the Intel web site i am going to give you the link and download the right driver for your chipset..Go to device manager uninstall your display adapter's driver restart your computer and update the driver but this time point it to the location ..don't let Windows find it for you..And make sure the driver you downloaded is the right one for example if you got a 64-bit system download the 64-Bit version..After successful installation you will be good to go set your screen resolution and change your settings on your software and enjoy

Return to posts index

ismael niang
on Oct 8, 2010 at 8:24:18 pm

sorry forgot the link
http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/cs-009482.htm

details how to install:
http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-029635.htm

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]