FORUMS: list search recent posts

Tutorial problem - need help!

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Philip Robinson
Tutorial problem - need help!
on Feb 26, 2010 at 9:22:06 pm

Hi

I'm very new to Maya and am working through the foundation tutorial book that bases most of its lessons on the 'Surf's Up' penguin movie.

On lesson 2, it teaches you how to model the penguin 'BigZ', i have encountered a problem in the section that starts to deal with chamfering. It tells you to select a CV, then chamfer to extrude a tail. I chamfered the CV and it gives you a surface just like the book says, this surface had 4 sides and 4 CV's.

Then comes the problem:
The book then says 'tweak the surface to make it look like this' and it shows the same surface with 6 sides (and 6 CV's). I have no idea how these extra 2 CV's came about! I'm really desperate to find out what i'm doing wrong and don't want to move on until i know how to do it, this book can be so vague!

Sorry if i haven't explained this well enough, would appreciate any help!
Thanks

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
Re: Tutorial problem - need help!
on Feb 27, 2010 at 5:44:11 am

Hey Phil...not sure about that lesson but I can tell you this, it's a Cybex Press "gotcha moment" and you gotta love that. They throw in some twists to make you think and although it's annoying it made you think didn't it? I think they are trying to get you to use some tools to create some more vertices. Anyway, keep at it, you're life is about to change forever.....Maya will never let you rest. STU

I know alot....but not as much as the other guy.

Return to posts index

Philip Robinson
on Feb 27, 2010 at 9:07:22 am

Hi Stu,

Yeah this book is full of 'gotcha' moments, and they're good because when you do work it out for yourself you get a great feeling of self worth! I tried changing attributes of the chamfer in the construction history but to no avail. I ended up chamfering the left and right vertices which kind of gave the same effect but i know it's not how the guy does it in the book. I just feel like i'm missing out on some golden nugget of information that will haunt me forever!

Return to posts index

Stuart Christensen
on Feb 27, 2010 at 8:29:57 pm

Hey Phil....I wish the Maya lessons would at least alert you that there will be a problem. Anyway, use them as a learning tool and apply what you need, or go on to learning the mechanics behind the problem. The program is so deep that once you get the basics down it all makes sense! Don't give up! STU

I know alot....but not as much as the other guy.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]