FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maya Crashes When Too Many Trees Are In Scene

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dorian Otero
Maya Crashes When Too Many Trees Are In Scene
on Feb 17, 2010 at 7:29:56 pm

Im running Maya 8.5 on a MAC OS 10.5.8 (8 core). My video card is a Radeon X1900. Ive rendered cities before and had no trouble.

I bought a set of trees from turbosquid and Im trying to build a forest. I went in to each tree and lowered the size of the texture to make it a smaller file. I began building the scene and when I get to about 16 trees... the scene wont render and crashes. Ive tried importing them in one at a time.... Ive also tried duplicating and none of it works.

The error reads "Writing.Home.20100217.0739.ma" Ive done everything from deleting preferences, making new scene files, using new cameras, and even optimizing the scene.

Any help would be appreciated.

Return to posts index

Michiel Duvekot
Re: Maya Crashes When Too Many Trees Are In Scene
on Feb 18, 2010 at 2:12:55 am

You should look into using mental ray proxies. This is pretty much exactly what they're for; stop you from running out of memory.

Michiel
http://www.thnkr.com

Return to posts index

Alastair Walker
Re: Maya Crashes When Too Many Trees Are In Scene
on Feb 26, 2010 at 10:05:46 pm

Firstly, I presume the trees are quite detailed. You should really render this in layers, saving an alpha and depth channel and using a compositing program to then create the forest. For the background trees try the maya paint brushes (or whatever they are called) etc. Basically copy and pasting trees to make a forest is not the way to do this!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]