FORUMS: list search recent posts

Faking 'Massive' with sprites

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
stephen flynn
Faking 'Massive' with sprites
on Feb 7, 2010 at 5:35:34 pm

I'm struggling with a shot where a large group of people run across a grass field. I'm trying to use sprites combined with image sequences of people looped in run cycles but I've hit a couple of snags. I want to have each individual sprite take a random image sequence from the several I've prepared and a begin random start frame (which would then loop). I also need each sprite to have an individual ambient colour (within a range)

I've tried the sprite wizard but as we all know that's pretty buggy and whenever I swap from hardware to mental ray it completely ignores the random start frame setup during the wizard process.

any help greatly appreciated!

Steve

Return to posts index

Michiel Duvekot
Re: Faking 'Massive' with sprites
on Feb 7, 2010 at 9:43:31 pm

If I remember correctly the spriteNumPP attribute never worked with mental ray. I haven't checked lately; but you might want to check this with Autodesk.

Return to posts index

Kirill Smolskiy
Re: Faking 'Massive' with sprites
on Nov 25, 2010 at 5:52:51 pm

yeah... spriteNumPP doesn't react to mental ray :(
So, Steve, were you able to solver this problem?

I'm doing the same. I need a crowd of people cheering at he stadium. I found the way how to make randomization of people and motion per particle. But I'm using spriteNumPP. And with mental ray it's not working :(

For 1 type motion I have 11 different looks and motion lasts for 92 frames. Total I have a long sequence of 1012 images that include 11 different animations. First character is animated using frame number 1, 12, 23, etc. Second character animated using frame number 2, 13, 24, etc.

For sprite creation I’m using expression
particleShape1.spriteNumPP = rand (0,500);
With this expression at first frame I create random character with different look and different start motion. Then I need to animate them:
particleShape1.spriteNumPP = (particleShape1.spriteNumPP + 11) % 1012
It's animated with offset 11 and cycles through entire sequence.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]