FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maya scene file size limitation?

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Marcus Fox
Maya scene file size limitation?
on Feb 4, 2010 at 6:26:25 am

I have just replaced my motherboard (Gigabyte UD5 to Asus P6TD) - and now none of my larger Maya files will open.
I have trouble with opening .mb files which are larger than 150Mb. Maya 2009 and Maya 2010 both read about 78% of the file then jump out and give the "Send Error Report" box.
I have the objects from one of these 150Mb files in separate files, and all of these open without problem. It does seem that file size only is the cause.
I run an i7 920 system with 6Gb DDR3 RAM - so the hardware should not be the culprit here.

Does anyone else have trouble with larger files? Is there a size limit??
Any way around this problem? I have tried to import the file into a new empty scene, with the same Maya jump-out.

Any help greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

Michiel Duvekot
Re: Maya scene file size limitation?
on Feb 4, 2010 at 3:37:43 pm

Some file types like .iff have limitations, but they're 2GB, not 150MB like yours. You have a different problem altogether.

It's interesting that this would happen after replacing the motherboard, but it could be a coincidence.

I would first try to make sure that the files can be read on other systems. ( I can do that for you if you want). Once you know that files are OK, try a few other things. From the other system, save out a .ma if reading that still fails insert trace statements in the file; trace -where; is a good way to find out where exactly the problem comes from.

Return to posts index

Marcus Fox
on Feb 4, 2010 at 5:01:29 pm

Thanks for the replies!

I've tried the files on my older machine (I've used it to create Maya scenes in the past), but they do the same thing - jump out after about 78% loading. So the motherboard change probably is a coincidence.
Strangely, I've been able to open a 202Mb file, which contained blendshape targets only for the main object mesh. Perhaps there's some other object in the problem files which became corrupted. They do contain many objects in common.

I've looked for a way to open .mb files in a text editor - but you only get readable code at the end, and this is for the Maya interface configuration.

Is there a way to convert a .mb to a .ma file?? Then, if that still won't open, perhaps I could delete out objects one by one and see if that makes the file readable...

Thanks again.

Return to posts index

Michiel Duvekot
on Feb 5, 2010 at 2:23:20 am

The only way to convert a .ma file to .mb is with Maya. Maya does have a non-gui (prompt) mode though that you can use. If reading the file fails there too, it's often a total loss. I can sometimes fix .mb files in a hex editor. That's probably not for everybody, but if you really need it, it's a service my company provides.

Return to posts index

Alvaro Castaneda
on Feb 4, 2010 at 3:56:23 pm

try deleting modelling history on you meshes
and use .mb for really large files, I have some scenes that are 400mb even more and open ok

l8r

----------------------
varomix - pixelEater
http://www.intelianimate.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]