FORUMS: list search recent posts

Contours_to_mesh nightmare.

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Adam Roestenburg
Contours_to_mesh nightmare.
on Jan 28, 2010 at 12:52:04 pm

Hi guys,

I have recently started my first job as an animator as a mining co.
I have been having a few issues with trying to accurately incorporate some of there "data" into maya.

I have been given a whole bunch of contours that make up an ore body. I am trying to generate a mesh that resembles the ore body.

So far, I have tried using nParticles to create a blobby mesh from curve emitters, the results are ok , but they are pushing me to achieve 10m accuracy on the model. Take a look at the contour nightmare I'm dealing with, (this has been cleaned up significantly)

and the results I have managed with blobby's

If anyone has any other suggestions , maybe some sort of fill boundries like procedure or just another approach your input would help me float a little in my first job.

regards

adam.

Return to posts index

Michiel Duvekot
Re: Contours_to_mesh nightmare.
on Jan 30, 2010 at 5:13:11 pm

You might look at using the curves to create a wire deformer. Create the deformer when they're all at the same elevation, then move them up. This works reasonably if you're trying to model a segment of a surface. It doesn't work so well for a volume.

But you should really look into getting better data than contour lines. What were they created from?

Return to posts index

Adam Roestenburg
Re: Contours_to_mesh nightmare.
on Jan 31, 2010 at 2:40:04 am

Wireframe deformer.
Ok i'll give this a shot. I assume it works like a lattice only referencing the curves to deform the mesh?

I have also been given a extremely high poly block model. Which is unmanageable on the machine I am working with.

I have tried using the NEX plug-in to retoplogize the model, but the mesh has double sided faces and bordering faces, so the tools are not responsive.

Thank you for the suggestion.

adam

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]