FORUMS: list search recent posts

Painting with Polygons (Non-photorealistic Rendering)

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Daniel Augsburger
Painting with Polygons (Non-photorealistic Rendering)
on Jan 25, 2010 at 4:55:50 pm

I am a student trying to replicate this effect in MAYA. The documentation on it can be found at here. Isaac Botkin gave a talk on how he achieved this during Siggraph 09'. The final renders end up looking like a stylized painting, but thus far I have only seen it done successfully in Lightwave and Blender. If anyone is interested and wants to give it a try I would appreciate knowing how to do this in Maya. In the meantime I'll keep trying myself. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Michiel Duvekot
Re: Painting with Polygons (Non-photorealistic Rendering)
on Jan 25, 2010 at 11:25:04 pm

It can be done, but rendering motion blur on animated textured doesn't work so well. The trick is that in Maya, you need to give the object a bit of extra motion, but only on subframes. Here's an example of an expression that does that.

polyObject_rotateY=sin(frame%int(frame))*30;

What I'm doing here is getting the remainder of the integer divison of the current frame and the integer value of the current frame. That amounts to 0 on all whole frames, but on a subframe, I get non-zero values. When maya is calculating motion blur on frame 10 for example, it uses frames 9.8 and 10.2. In my expression the rotation of frame 9.8 is 21.520683 and on frame 10.2 it is 5.96008 but on frame 10 it is 0. So you get no rotation in the animation, only in the motionblur. The same can be done for translation, taking existing velocity into account etc... Regular animation could be layered on top with animation layers perhaps, or maybe you can use Trax to add the oscilation.

Return to posts index

Daniel Augsburger
on Jan 26, 2010 at 3:53:08 am

Thank you, I will try this and let you know how it goes!

Return to posts index

Christopher Tini
on Mar 2, 2010 at 4:41:22 am

I am a senior who is currently trying to implement this look as well into my thesis animation. The problem that I have come across is that unlike Lightwave and Blender, Maya cannot render motion blur with displacement maps. I even showed this script to my teacher who specializes in mental ray rendering and he told me the same thing. That again, it would not matter since Maya could not render the motion blur on the displacement maps.

Other ways of doing the look I heard was turning all of my geometry into cloth simulations and creating a turbulence on that, bake it to my animation and then render it that way. The key thing I liked about the video on the Lightwave painting with polygons tutorial was that it would render quickly. This alternative would take ridiculously long to render in my opinion.

Is there an alternative? I am approximately a month away from my deadline and I have yet to find a feasible way to do a non-photorealistic look that appears like an impressionist painting. Thanks.

-Chris

Return to posts index

lionel caruana
on Jan 24, 2011 at 10:35:16 pm

Hi guys,
If it's not too late, I can show you my work.
I have succeed this effect in Maya for my short AKAFFA at Supinfocom.
You can view in action in my demoreel (at the end) :
http://www.vimeo.com/13906480

Basically, it' s done thanks to this free node DisplaceD: http://www.hajimenakamura.com/hajime/cg/mll/displaceD/displaceD.shtml
I did not succeed with Displacement Map with Mental ray.

This Node allow you to displace your mesh in the viewport.
So, you "shake" the mesh with an expression ( in subframe) and you active MB.
I used textures to reduce the effect in some parts of the model.

Works not bad but pretty long to achieve the effect.

I can upload an simple scene to show basically the way if you want.

Lionel

Return to posts index

Christopher Tini
on Aug 10, 2011 at 10:59:13 pm

Though a lot of time has passed, it is never too late to learn something new. I tried out that displace node and the effect, though a little strange is a great feature. I was also very interested in understanding how you did the displaced shading. That effect is the closest thing I have been able to find on a "paint" effect in Maya. Thanks again for sharing this Lionel.

Chris

Return to posts index

Kelsey Dil
on Mar 11, 2013 at 10:37:10 am

Hey Lionel, if you are still able to, I would love to check out a sample scene of achieving this renderer. I too am having trouble getting this effect to work and seeing how to set up the DisplaceD and the "shake" settings would be of great help to me.

Thanks!
-K

Return to posts index

lionel caruana
on Mar 13, 2013 at 5:01:43 pm

http://www.carart.fr/2013/03/technique-for-non-photorealistic-rendering-in-...

Return to posts index

Lucas Langou
on Jul 31, 2014 at 3:57:57 pm
Last Edited By Lucas Langou on Aug 1, 2014 at 10:03:32 am

Hi Lionel I'm french student in animation too
and we wan't to use this kind of render for our final project.

Do you still want to share your scene ? There will be very usefull to us. I just download DisplaceD but I don't understand what do you mean by "shake" your mesh with expression. I'm really bad in script and I will be very curious to take a look ! The previous link is dead. You can contact me at l.langou@studen.isartdigital.com

Thanks you to share your experience !

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]