FORUMS: list search recent posts

Maya Rendering on Multiple Computers

COW Forums : Autodesk Maya

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robb Hanson
Maya Rendering on Multiple Computers
on Jan 24, 2010 at 7:11:59 am

Greetings:
I've done lots of render farm setup with 3DS Max using their included Backburner software - it's very easy. Lately, I'm doing more Maya animation, and want to render my project over more than one computer.
Apologies for asking a very novice question - but does Maya have built in capability to render over 2 or 3 computers to share the load? I bought Maya 2010 and looks like it only has allowed me to install in on 2 of my computers (one is a 32 bit Windows OS and the other is Windows 7 - 64 bit) Do I have to have the full blown Maya software installed on all the systems in the render farm? or is there a free scaled down version for just rendering? Also - I just got a hold of MUSTER and HARPOON 1.4 for rendering - not sure if I really need them or if I can just set this up in Maya alone.
Thanks in advance
Robb

Return to posts index

Michiel Duvekot
Re: Maya Rendering on Multiple Computers
on Jan 24, 2010 at 2:54:50 pm

Maya 2010 comes with backburner. There is no standalone renderer. Maya is a monolithitic application, it -is- the renderer, so you do have to install the full application. The licensing has changed a bit with 2010, you can now render with mental ray for Maya on up to 6 machines. Maya software rendering is free, as before.

Instructions are here: User Guide > Rendering and Render Setup > Rendering > Network rendering > Network render with the render command line utility

Return to posts index

Robb Hanson
on Jan 24, 2010 at 7:03:58 pm

Thanks. You confirmed my thoughts. My question still stands - I believe I'm only able to install this license on 2 machines total. Do I have to buy more licenses to run 2 more machines just as renderers?

Return to posts index

Robb Hanson
on Jan 25, 2010 at 8:35:14 pm

I believe I'm only able to install this license on 2 machines total. Do I have to buy more licenses to run a total of 4 more machines just as renderers? Anyone know of a workaround? Thanks

Return to posts index

Michiel Duvekot
on Jan 26, 2010 at 1:20:43 am

The documentation gives:

What's New > What's New in Rendering and Render Setup

Five mental ray for Maya batch rendering licenses available for command line rendering

Each Maya rendering license allows you to render in Maya interactively on one machine and run batch rendering on five machines. You can therefore perform mental ray for Maya rendering on up to 6 machines

Return to posts index

Robb Hanson
on Jan 27, 2010 at 3:49:22 am

Got it. That's fantastic. I don't mean to sound dense but....do I have to have the Maya application installed on those other 4 machines? or does the mental ray on the main PC somehow go across the network to utilize the CPU of those other 4 machines? Thanks

Return to posts index

Jacob Walsh
on Mar 17, 2010 at 4:03:11 pm

Yeah, you'll have to install Maya on the other computers, but you won't have to license it to render using Maya Software... as far as Mental Ray, I'm not sure, that's all new. BackBurner and/or smedge are the easiest ways to get all computers and processors working together.

Return to posts index

Terry Coolidge
on Mar 29, 2013 at 7:51:19 am

I know I'm three years late to this party, but I'm wondering if it's possible to utilize a remote machine for a Maya "network" rendering. I'm a freelancer (sole proprietor), so I don't have a studio full of machines. I have a few machines, but not five or six, and I'm wondering if I can make use of a family member's machine that I can access remotely over the internet. Can I connect to a remote machine in such a way that Maya would recognize it as a valid node on which to render?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]